Water level below step to have skimmer working

Hol

Jun 16, 2014
London Ontario Canada
Hi Everyone:D--Just joined officially after having anonymously snuck around reading your brilliant ideas for months. I don't know where else to turn for advice about my "problem"...

I have just had my new 12x24 inground liner pool filled for the first time Friday. It looked lovely when the PBs were still there and we were continuing the fill with the hose...Long after they left the site, the water level reached the half way mark on the skimmer opening, revealing that at that level, the top step was still dry. With enough water to cover the step (i.e. just enough to show off the beautiful shapely outline of the water reflection--the pool is kidney, and the step is round roman 8')...the skimmer became totally submerged!! In other words, if I want the skimmer to skim, the step is just at the surface level--so IT starts collecting all the flotsam and jetsam that gets stuck there as a result of the lower water level. And if I want to submerge the top step so it doesn't trap all this gunk, the skimmer's underwater!

I asked my pool builder about it this morning, and he suggested I was over-reacting. The pool has cantilevered coping, and what I think has happened is that he used a step intended for regular coping (i.e. it sits up a little on the edge). He cantilevered over the entire step and sides--and while it LOOKS lovely, the water level problem has just appeared--and it doesn't appear to be a fixable item (that is without ripping out the concrete, the composite pool walls and step etc...which I do NOT want to do)...

So, oh wise ones of the TFP forum...any ideas???? How important IS the skimmer? I am so confused and concerned and would really appreciate any thoughts that might help--either in simply relieving my mind, or in terms of possible solutions (which I doubt really exist). Sorry if I sound skeptical!!

Thank you very much...
Holly

I asked my pool builder about it this morning, and he suggested I was over-reacting.
I don't think you are overreacting, it should be right. Hopefully you are still holding money he wants. Don't make the final payment until it is right.

You said: "it doesn't appear to be a fixable item (that is without ripping out the concrete, the composite pool walls and step etc...which I do NOT want to do)..." While you may not want to do it, it may need to be done. You want it right.

Ask the pool builder to come out and show you how it is supposed to work....

Good luck

It may also be that the skimmer is too low on the wall.

doesnt sound like a fun problem to solve. I sure do wish you get it worked out with the PB.

For what its worth, the steps are going to trap stuff anyhow because the water ciruculation really isnt sufficient in there to get it out. I have this problem and my steps are under water. Had I known this at the time, I owuld have had a jet or return installed in the steps just for blowing out the stuff hiding in there.

That's exactly the level of my steps and skimmer. The steps and the galvanized steel wall panels came from the manufacture ready to bolt together with the skimmer port precut in the wall panel.
I just keep the water level high (about 1/2" from top of skimmer opening) and have about 1" of water covering the top step.

Hey Holly,

If the skimmer opening is completely submerged when the top step is covered with water, your skimmer will just act as another drain. It won't skim the surface of your pool and all the gunk that falls into the water will sink to the bottom.

This really needs to be corrected. I don't know much about raising skimmers or lowering steps but you can bet your builder does. He also realizes that somewhere along the line an error occurred resulting in this situation. Be polite, understanding, but firm. This must be fixed and even if it requires a redo, then that's what will have to be done.

Has the builder come out to look at it yet? Once he sees it he'll be able to suggest a fix. Let us know what happens. Be strong.

Tom

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.