Unexplained FC Consumption - SOLVED - although the Mystery Remains

Re: Could bad DPD or R-0871 cause wacky results

Bleach loses strength over time, especially if exposed to sunlight / high temperatures. The higher the %sodium-hypo, the faster it degrades.

You could do a 1 in 100 dilution of "stock" from the container, take that mixture and do a further 1 in 100 dilution to achieve a overall 1 in 10,000 dilution.
With the 1 in 10,000 dilution, run a FC test, the final number is your bleach %.

With metric measures, I'd say take 10ml in 1 litre of water to achieve the 1 in 100 dilution. The 10ml measurement should be as accurate as possible, typically by using a syringe or pipette. The water will also need to be chlorine free, commonly distilled water is used.

I'm not sure how well that works with US measures though...

I tried this test...but I could not get consistent results, so I caulked it up to my dilutions were off.

What baffles me is I am losing a TON of FC a day - for no reason.

It cant be the stenner
It cant be the bleach

As the FC registers - and then magically it is all gone.

DANG - well stenner is perfect...

I timed what should be 32 OZ and nearly perfect...this is the SAME exactly bleach I am using when I manually dose. So I am back to something invisible eating algae during the day.

Re: Unexplained FC Consumption (updated title)

12:30 PM - FC 6.5
5:30 PM - FC 1.0

Something is going on...I think my only recourse is to try and take a vacation and SLAM over a week...I have some mysterious algae that seems dead, but must not be.

Until then I will do my best.

Have you checked behind your lights? One of our members recently saw 4PPM loss OCLT and had massive amounts of algae behind her lights - literally the day after she cleaned them she passed OCLT.
Ladders must come out if they are removable, if not you need to brush under and around them - any crevices you would not normally brush has to be brushed.

Have you checked behind your lights? One of our members recently saw 4PPM loss OCLT and had massive amounts of algae behind her lights - literally the day after she cleaned them she passed OCLT.
Ladders must come out if they are removable, if not you need to brush under and around them - any crevices you would not normally brush has to be brushed.

Well I think I have - meaning my LED light does not seem to come out, it has a clear cover and seems to be sealed. No "sign" of algae.

Also I am passing OCLT every time I check - yet I a am burning Chlorine during the day...I mean I MUST have some kind of clear algae that is ACTIVE only in sun and goes to sleep at night. And since I can't SLAM over a week or two, it is somehow living.

Once again, I am leaving tonight, not back till Wed of next week. I will simply load up the Stenner, increase by dosing to 20 PPM a day of Chlorine and hope for the best.

Another update (looks like no one likes this thread anymore :( )

I started with 4 PPM of Chlorine...ran stenner for enough time to increase to 10 PPM and retested and I am at 10 PPM

So, what this tells me is that all along I have some daytime eating algae that is invisible. I've discovered a new strain if anybody is interested :)

90 minutes later my FC goes from 10 to 8, so I must have an invisible algae outbreak...it could be related to my filter still not filtering.

I will calculate my stenner runtimes before I jump on the plane this evening and pray for a clear pool for Wed Afternoon.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Unexplained FC Consumption (updated title)

Just finished a SLAM with and passed the OCLT with flying numbers...went from 7.5 FC with 0 CC to 7.0 FC and 0 CC overnight...YEAH.

This statement is troubling me a bit.

If you were checking OCLT coming out of a SLAM, your nighttime FC level should have been at 16 ppm with your CYA of 40, NOT 7.5 ppm FC.

I'm thinking you ended your SLAM too early.

The OCLT would be more accurate at SLAM level.

This statement is troubling me a bit.

If you were checking OCLT coming out of a SLAM, your nighttime FC level should have been at 16 ppm with your CYA of 40, NOT 7.5 ppm FC.

I'm thinking you ended your SLAM too early.

The OCLT would be more accurate at SLAM level.

Yep - due to my travel schedule it was impossible for me to maintain 16 FC - so I tested when I got back and figured the level did not matter.

So I presume what is happening is that even though my pool is clear, I have a mini bloom still living and duplicating...and since I can't keep it at SLAM levels I never truly kill it. It seems to only duplicate during the day, as I do not have loss overnight.

Even though every night I pass the OCLT.

The beauty of the stenner...at the airport now and think I might have it figured out :)

I am going to dose 8 times a day, 54 oz at 8.25

That SHOULD be enough to maintain 16 FC for SLAM levels over the next 5 days. It will take 15 gal of bleach.

wish me luck....

Worse thing is when I return I have 40 PPM of FC, but I guess that will kill whatever wacky of strain of algae I have.

Im watching and very interested in what is going on.

What bugs me though, is if it is algae and eating that much FC in the daytime, is that you dont seem to have any CC. I would thing there should at least be some, but maybe Im wrong.

anyway, keep us posted when you get back.

hummmmm.... this is a strange one. .5 is not bad. A few leaves on the bottom for a couple days will test up a .5. But a algae that FC like your is being eaten, I certainly would expect to see more CCs.

Just wierd.

Well 1 of my measurements over the last 10 days had a .5 combined chlorine.... Not much else

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.