My Stenner Install

Jul 10, 2012
Completed the install last weekend.

I cut in a 2" T fitting with a 1/2" threaded bushing for the Stenner. Piece of cake- took about 10 minutes. I put some teflon tape on the check valve threads for good measure. Not sure it's necessary but it's nice to have that security. If you're considering the stenner, buy a 100 PSI version so the injector fitting is a check valve. The low PSI fitting is not a check valve.

I mounted the pump on the house. It's wired into a simple outlet that's on a timer. It's not tied into a relay on the pump, but this is a short term setup for me. In 6 months we're going to do some remodeling and the stenner will be moved to an automation system. I used the same 15 gallon uline tank that someone else on the forum used. I used a couple fittings (I probably went way overboard) to put the supply line into the tank, and then to vent the tank as the chlorine level goes down. I only put about 5 gallons into the supply tank for now. That should give me time to figure verify that it's working and get it dialed in.

I'm running the stenner for 2.5 hrs in the late afternoon and then using the variable setting on the stenner to fine tune the amount of chlorine delivered. My starting point is at a setting of 6 for those 2.5 hrs for a usage of 2 FC per day. We'll see what it looks like tonight- this is the first day that it's running as planned.

Attachments

• photo 2-1.JPG
    photo 2-1.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 644
  • photo 1-1.JPG
    photo 1-1.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 631
smccray, thanks for the photos and ideas. Good Job!!

so this is a noob question, but, is the pump/tank just filled with a chlorine solution?
Yes, the Stenner injects chlorine. Bleach or hi test pool store stuff; whatever you normally use.

I just ordered my Stenner today so the install will happen in the next week or two.

Pool is in the neighborhood of 30k gallons. I purchased a variable stenner pump and I have it turned down to 6 GPD at this point. The timer is done via a computer controlled light switch. It's easy to adjust the timing, but I have programmed a number of back-up off commands in case I loose power at 6:00 PM when the pump is supposed to go off. Changing the off time requires adjusting all those back-up off commands. It's much easier for me to just turn up/down the dial on the pump to deliver more or less chlorine in that amount of time. That also makes it easier for my wife to make adjustments should the need arise while I'm traveling.

I'm using 10% chlorine from Lowes at this point. The Stenner is setup to inject 32 oz of 10% chlorine per hour. I did a morning FAS/DPD test on the chlorine level. I'll test again tonight after the stenner shuts down and we'll see how close that setting is. I'm in the DFW area and I don't have the pump, or chlorine dosing dialed in yet. Pool math says 2 FC is approximately 80 OZ of 10% chlorine per day, but I don't know if that's even the right amount of FC loss per day. I may be way off.

Quick bit of info on the variable pumps- On a setting of 10, the rollers spin 100% of the time. When you turn down the variable dial, the turning of the rollers is interrupted for some short amount of time, it doesn't turn the rollers slower. In other words, at a 6 setting the rollers spin 6 of every 10 seconds, but the pump itself is running 100% of the time. It's almost like the variable dosing disconnects the rollers from the pump. Not sure if that makes sense or if it's significant, but it's good to know. It's also my understanding that the #2 tube used in the pump can be replaced with a larger or smaller tube if you want to increase/decrease the amount of chemical dosed in a given amount of time.

Sorry for the pictures rotated 90 degrees. iPhones are great...

BuckeyeChris,
the chlorine is suceptible more to direct UV than to temps. The chlorine containers are completely opaque like a bleach bottle is, and doesnt let any light through. Having a shade for it is also a + for good measure.

This type of set up has been used very very successfully for a lot of years or decades.
Basically, its a DIY verson of the 1000+ dollar chlorinator - but more reliable.

Nicely done. I put in the same setup but with a fixed speed injector and it's been trouble free except for dialing in the dosage times. In my case with my pump and current hose it can max at 3 GPD which in my 15.6k gal pool is 24 ppm FC. So one hour equals 1 ppm so the math for me is pretty easy.

I almost for a variable speed pump but since my equipment is outside near our fence and pool area I was worried the clicking it makes when it's non 100% mode would become annoying to us and or the neighbors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oh. I thought I had read to keep your bleach containers in a cool dark place due to the heat. Even in the shade here in az it will get well over 105. Just thinking ahead to the viability of a system like this.

I've had mine out with no issue. Although my 15g is on the side of the house that is probably in the sun for about 2-3 hours in the morning and thats it. I've noticed no issues with the sun/heat having a notable impact on the viability of the bleach (10%). It is just the easiest system for daily dosing your pool. I check mine 1x-2x a week and once a year replace the tubes. I think I might replace my rollers next year just to be sure. But its a great do it yourself set-up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I almost for a variable speed pump but since my equipment is outside near our fence and pool area I was worried the clicking it makes when it's non 100% mode would become annoying to us and or the neighbors

I hadn't thought of the clicking becoming annoying. I'll report back if it becomes a problem. The clicking is at about the same level as our pool pump (fairly loud single speed 2 HP pump), and we're generally on the opposite side of the pool from the pool equipment, and if the pool is running then the spa fountain is on. I can't hear the stenner when I'm around the corner, let alone across the pool. The neighbor's pool equipment is on the other side of the fence from ours so I don't think we'll annoy the neighbors, but we'll see. Worst case if I turn the variable speed all the way to 10 the clicking stops.

Unfortunately my pool equipment is on the south side of the house so it does get some afternoon sun, but that's the way it goes. The chlorine won't be in the heat for more than a week or so before it's injected into the pool so hopefully it doesn't become an issue. Time will tell.

My tank sits in the sun for much of the day and it gets pretty hot where it is; I haven't seen any noticeable drop in the CL viability (12.5%). I very well may have over thought the noise level of the clicks ;) I do have a variable speed pump though and it runs at a pretty low (and quiet) speed though.

I hadn't thought of the clicking becoming annoying. I'll report back if it becomes a problem. The clicking is at about the same level as our pool pump (fairly loud single speed 2 HP pump), and we're generally on the opposite side of the pool from the pool equipment, and if the pool is running then the spa fountain is on. I can't hear the stenner when I'm around the corner, let alone across the pool. The neighbor's pool equipment is on the other side of the fence from ours so I don't think we'll annoy the neighbors, but we'll see. Worst case if I turn the variable speed all the way to 10 the clicking stops.

Reporting back. The clicking is a little annoying. I really like that I can make adjustments to the chlorine dosing by turning the dial, but if we happen to be outside I don't like it. It's setup to run today for 2.5 hrs on a setting of 5. I'll probably adjust it to running for a shorter period of time on a setting of 9 starting at the same time 3:30 PM. That way I can fine tune the chlorine if needed, but pump will run for a much shorter period of time.

I'm going to get the pump dialed in before I make any changes. The good news is that after being out of town for a couple days, FC was right where I wanted it to be last night! My CYA level is very high, but dosing was estimated @ 2 FC per day with a target of 9.5-10. Last night FC was 9.5, CC was .5. Perfect...

Bad day for the pool service... their position was eliminated this morning.

Question. Ok so you buy a stenner pump, then get a separate holding tank? Can the programming and adjusting of the time and amount and so on, be controlled by an intellitouch system? I'm new to all this, and would to have a setup for acid injections, instead of doing it manually.. Suggestions?

You need the pump and a chemical tank. Stenner sells a tank, or you can do a separate tank. I chose to use a 15 gallon uline plastic drum you see in the photo above. I shamelessly copied the install from someone else here- I don't recall who it was but it works great.

I believe the intellitouch system could control the stenner tank but I can't tell you how to wire it in. It's my understanding that you can use an unused relay on the intellitouch to turn on the stenner and you're good to go. Ask me in 9 months and I'll be able to answer this question- we'll be adding a control system this fall.

Ok thanks. Our pool hopefully will be complete in week or two I have the intellitouch parts, just not the stenner pump set up yet. Everything is starting to add up, so might have to hold off on this for this year. But I'm saving your picture above for reference too.

Reporting back. The clicking is a little annoying. I really like that I can make adjustments to the chlorine dosing by turning the dial, but if we happen to be outside I don't like it. It's setup to run today for 2.5 hrs on a setting of 5. I'll probably adjust it to running for a shorter period of time on a setting of 9 starting at the same time 3:30 PM. That way I can fine tune the chlorine if needed, but pump will run for a much shorter period of time.

Thought I'd follow up up on the clicking. I swear that the volume of the clicking has declined significantly. Either that or I've gotten used to it. I absolutely love the flexibility of the variable speed adjusting the setting by just twisting the dial. I would easily do it again. If the pool equipment was right next to where we hang out by the pool I might think twice, but given that the pool equipment is around the side of the house it's an easy decision.

I love my stenner. I went with the fixed rate 18 GPD pump and an intermatic digital timer to control its operation. I run it an hour and fifteen minutes every night resulting in the delivery of just shy of 1 gallon of bleach per day. If I have a large swimmer load I just push the button on the electronic timer and pump in extra bleach. I've not had a single algea outbreak since installing the pump. I can't even begin to express how much it's simplified pool ownership.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.