Intex 12x24 Doesn't circulate surface water well

Jun 16, 2014
Baltimore, MD
Hello!
Hopefully someone can help me out. I have a 12'x24' Rectangular Intex Ultraframe pool and the original floating filter / pump / water return that came with the pool and it doesn't do a very good job at circulating the surface water so I always have pollen and other debris floating on the surface. Do anyone know of anything I can purchase or any fairly easy DIY solutions? I was thinking something that returned the water at more of an angle towards the end of the pool may help get the water circulating better. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks!

Hi there and welcome to TFP... :)

Many people, myself included have "modded" or hacked our pools and added a Hayward Through The Wall Skimmer.... :) Here is the link to the exact one you want to look at... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002DPY196/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There's heaps of threads on here that can show you how to add the skimmer, you just use the google search function in the top right hand corner, and you will have to make some adjustments to your plumbing.... What sort of filter came with your pool?

This is quite a popular filter that will probably do a better job on your pool.... Your pool is almost twice the size of mine... I too have a rectangle intex pool 18 x 9....

http://www.amazon.com/Intex-650-Gal...TF8&qid=1402965042&sr=1-1&keywords=intex+2650

Does the Hayward Through the Wall Skimmer seem to circulate the water better or clean the water surface better? I get a lot of "dead spots" on the corners of my pool and just in general the surface doesn't get cleaned off like I hoped it would. I really want to find a way to get better water circulation on the surface and the whole pool. I was considering The Circulator

http://www.amazon.com/Circulator-10...qid=1403102778&sr=8-1&keywords=the+circulator

Have you aimed the return eyeball as far down as possible? That helps a lot with circulation. That having been said, I encourage you to add the Hayward Skimmer. It is a modification that you will not regret and there are many threads/people on the forum who will help you do it properly. It seems to be very cheap and easy to accomplish.

I have tried changing the eyeball but my problem is "dead spots" on the surface of the way wear pollen and other debris build up because of poor surface circulation. I am thinking of trying The Circulator along with getting the Hayward Skimmer I seem recommended on these forums so much. I am also thinking of adding a solar cover (http://www.vminnovations.com/Produc...round-Pool-24-ft-Cover-Reel-and-Tube-Set.html). Thanks for the suggestions.

Is the water always slow coming out of the return? if it's just after it's been running a while, one other thing to check, if you have a lot of cottonwood seeds and other stuff floating through the air this time of year and an over the wall skimmer basket, where the hose from the skimmer basket goes into the wall, remove the hose, unscrew that part, then clean off the grate/grid, its probably clogged and not letting enough water get through.

Are you still using the stock pump that came with your pool?

I found that the stock Intex pump just did not seem to move enough water. When I upgraded the pump to the next size up last year I saw a definite up tick in the output fron the returm. It wasn't until this season, when I got rid of the Intex Flex Hoses and the Intex Plungers, that I really saw a discharge volume increase. Now I can adjust the return eye and literally make the return arc over the surface and create a a visible current. The change really makes the Hayward Thru-Wall skimmer work.

Intex really does make a great pool, its' just the small low volume stock pumps and accessories, which come with many of the pools, that make the pool seem sub-standard.

Good luck with your mods.

- - - Updated - - -

@RazzleyDazzleyGuy
Thank you for the suggestion. I think I will start with upgrading the pump and then going for a Hayward Skimmer after that. See if those two help me out. I am using all default parts with the pool and it is a few years old now. Problem is my pool sits about half covered by a large oak tree. The branchs are a good 20" above the surface of the pool but I get a lot of debris out of the tree that just floats around since the floating skimmer and stock return just can't circulate the water enough.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.