CYA and Chlorine Levels

Through years of trying to get rid of algae by shocking (no longer do that by the way) my CYA level is upwards of 100. I keep my free chlorine level at the recommended level for the CYA and the water is absolutely sparkling crystal clear. I know I have to dump water and refill to fix the problem but would like to hold off a bit since right now the pool is seeing quite a bit of use. My question is would a free chlorine level of around 10-12 cause any harm to the liner or anything else?

As long as you keep the FC at the recommended ranges based on the CYA, then you are not putting the liner at risk.
But, remember when FC > 10ppm, the pH test is not valid.

I did not know that! Maybe that is why my PH is reading a bit high sometimes?? Shall I make sure the FC level is below 10 and then do a PH test from now on?
That is one solution. It gets old fast, though.

I just finished draining about 6" out of my pool to lower CH. At an average depth of 60", that's 10%. That much water can be refilled in a couple hours and won't totally mess up the chemistry. Do that a few times and you'll have CYA down to something useful.

Have you done the diluted CYA test? Starting with 50/50 mix of pool and tap water and doubling the CYA reading? Give you a better idea of how high your CYA actually is.

I don't understand. If you use 50% pool and 50% tap water, then add the reagent and test. Then whatever reading you get, double it and that is your CYA level.

If you happen to read 50ppm, then you CYA is around 100ppm and to get to the recommended range you would need to replace 50% of the water (this amount of water replacement has nothing to do with the fact that you use 50% pool/tap water)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.