Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA and Chlorine Levels

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA and Chlorine Levels

Through years of trying to get rid of algae by shocking (no longer do that by the way) my CYA level is upwards of 100. I keep my free chlorine level at the recommended level for the CYA and the water is absolutely sparkling crystal clear. I know I have to dump water and refill to fix the problem but would like to hold off a bit since right now the pool is seeing quite a bit of use. My question is would a free chlorine level of around 10-12 cause any harm to the liner or anything else?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA and Chlorine Levels

As long as you keep the FC at the recommended ranges based on the CYA, then you are not putting the liner at risk.
    But, remember when FC > 10ppm, the pH test is not valid.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I did not know that! Maybe that is why my PH is reading a bit high sometimes?? Shall I make sure the FC level is below 10 and then do a PH test from now on?

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefRob View Post
    I did not know that! Maybe that is why my PH is reading a bit high sometimes?? Shall I make sure the FC level is below 10 and then do a PH test from now on?
    That is one solution. It gets old fast, though.

I just finished draining about 6" out of my pool to lower CH. At an average depth of 60", that's 10%. That much water can be refilled in a couple hours and won't totally mess up the chemistry. Do that a few times and you'll have CYA down to something useful.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Good idea, I will give that a shot. Actually we had horrendous rains here on Long Island recently. My water level is quite high, I will reduce it and fill it back up and see where it gets me.

6. Back To Top    #6

Have you done the diluted CYA test? Starting with 50/50 mix of pool and tap water and doubling the CYA reading? Give you a better idea of how high your CYA actually is.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

If there is a big rain coming you can also do some rainwater harvesting:

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...vesting-and-TA
    TFP Moderator Chris V. ~16K Pool & Spa, 48NSF DE, IG Plaster Circa 2000, Intermatic PE653, Challenger pump with a 2 speed B2984, 20gal stenner chlorine injection, Houston, TX
    One cannot follow Islam and Christianity at the same time, nor can one follow pool store methods and TFP at the same time.
    Pool School -- Pool Math -- TF-Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

jblizzie, so if i dilute the pool water 50% and my cya is down to 50 instead of 100 that would mean i have to replace roughly 50% of the pool water correct?

9. Back To Top    #9

I don't understand. If you use 50% pool and 50% tap water, then add the reagent and test. Then whatever reading you get, double it and that is your CYA level.

If you happen to read 50ppm, then you CYA is around 100ppm and to get to the recommended range you would need to replace 50% of the water (this amount of water replacement has nothing to do with the fact that you use 50% pool/tap water)
    Jason, TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

Sorry I was a bit confusing. I tried to basically spit out exactly what you said! I will be doing that test this afternoon. Thanks!