Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Any 18' AG owners using BBB ??

1. Back To Top    #1

Southeastern Ma.

Any 18' AG owners using BBB ??

Pool Dummy w/ 18' ag (+/-7500 gal.?) looking for quick suggestion.

Last year I found out about the BBB method on the PoolForum (which I guess has disappeared?). If I remember correctly someone gave me a simple suggestion of 1 1/2 cups 6% Bleach ea night and my pool was crystal clear until I closed it.
    I was a happy guy! :P

Over the Winter I lost my 16 year old liner and had to go thru a replacement job. (What a project! Tip - Don't build a surrounding deck out over your top rails!)
    18' pool has been refilled, 1 1/2hp DE filter running, Pool has been shocked (Turned green but now clear)
    I also have a Auto-Chlorinator w/ Slo-Tabs that I ran at lowest setting and bumped up when we went on Vacation.

Until I can afford a good test kit (right now I've got the little yellow/orange colored jobie), can anyone suggest if the 1 1/2 cups 6% Bleach ea. night sounds like it would be in the right ball-park????

Thanks for any help ya can give!
    If I'm not on the Bike or out in the MotorHome, I'll be by the pool!

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Any 18' AG owners using BBB ??

Without the auto-chlorinator you would probably want 3 cups of 6% bleach each evening. With the auto-chlorinator, it is a little more difficult to say.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Tucson area, AZ

With my 20ft diameter above ground pool, 4ft deep, 40 CYA, I use 1 or a little over cups 10 percent. For 6 percent, if you are not using your auto chlorinator, you would want to use, as Jason said, 3 cups, more or less, depending on the amount of sun you get, your CYA level, etc.

I take it you have an OTO test kit. You can get a pretty accurate feel of your chlorine use just by testing the chlorine level with it every evening and adding bleach to get it to your target level.
    Above ground soft side Omega pool
    20 feet diameter, 4 feet deep
    Hayward sand filter
    Hayward 1 HP Matrix pump
    Hayward Aquabug Automatic Pool Cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

Richmond, Va

Yup, we have the same size and are averaging about 3 cups daily or closer to 5 if I've left a day in between.
    18 ft.52" Round Atrium AG -7600 gallons, Sand Filter, Vinyl liner, Royal Entrance Steps, 80 lbs.solarsalt

5. Back To Top    #5

Yeah, PoolForum is still going. We were down yesterday but back up today.

Chlorine rule of thumb method for B-B-B:

1 gallon of bleach adds its concentration to 10,000 gallons of water.

So 1 gal of 6% adds 6ppm to 10,000 gallons.

For you, 3/4 of a gallon of 6% will add 6ppm to your pool (which at 7,500 gallons is 3/4 of 10,000). That's 3 quarts. Each quart will add 2ppm.

If you use regular 5.25% bleach, 3 quarts will add 5.25ppm to your pool. See how it works?

I started using B-B-B on a 15' x 3' Intex EasySet donut--it wasn't called B-B-B then. SOMEBODY came up with that term, 'way back in pre-historic times....
    Stay ahead of your water!