Finally have the water level for filtration...excited to get up and running...Q's...

Jul 17, 2013
Princeton, NJ
Hey folks,

So I finally have enough water in my 24 ft above ground (13.5k gallon) pool to turn on the filter.

Have a Hayward DE filter, 3/4 HP pump

My pool was filled with my well.

The pH is 7.8
FC is...well, gone every day. ;-)
CYA is 0

I'd like to get in this thing as soon as possible. As I've been filling it over the last couple of weeks, I've been adding bleach and the water looks nice (stuff on top, due to no skimming, but good otherwise).

I think, from everything I've read I want a pH around 7.5ish, a FC around 4 and a CYA of around 30...does this sound right?

I'd like to get in and running as soon as possible. I've done some pool math, and have plenty of bleach, so that's covered.

My questions are for the pH and the CYA.

pH: I want to lower it a tad, right? So I need some dry or muriatic acid to lower it a bit. Not sure if I should go for one or the other, but I think I need to hit a pool store because I need cyanuric acid anyway. Is there a pro/con for one over the other? Would I want to up the CYA and see if the process lowers the pH?

CYA: Is there a negative to using liquid (seems much quicker...ie in the water quicker) over solid?

Thanks! :)

FC to 4--now! PH to 7.5 by using liquid muriatic acid. CYA to 30 using Walmart HTH brand--granulated, Liquid cya is much too expensive. See the chlorine /cya chart in pool school.

Thanks for that.

So, the HTH brand @ Walmart looks to be 15 oz for $15ish...and poolmath says I need ~56 oz. So, that's be 4 of those cannisters or $60. For liquid it says I need 140oz. and a gallon is $25...so I'd have to buy 2 gallons, which would be $50.

Am I missing something?

Thanks for that.

So, the HTH brand @ Walmart looks to be 15 oz for $15ish...and poolmath says I need ~56 oz. So, that's be 4 of those cannisters or $60. For liquid it says I need 140oz. and a gallon is $25...so I'd have to buy 2 gallons, which would be $50.

Am I missing something?

For Liquid you have to see what % of CYA it is. Some of them are not 100% CYA, so you have to adjust your numbers.

For example, if it was 50% by volume CYA, then you would need double.

Someone correct me if I am wrong but that was my understanding of liquid CYA.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.