Need Help With Tile Question Please !

May 14, 2014
pace,fl
Posted previously with no responses --- I don't think it is a knowledge issue but could be a non-interest issue perhaps ... so I'll try again since I know many you guys have alot more knowledge and experience than me !!

I want to tile my countertops - granite I think. My thinking was/is that 1/2 Durock with solid steel cross members on top for support would be sufficient as a base. I had not considered using plywood since most people say don't use near the grill.

Seeing different things - pro and con on the internet - for example :

The advantage of tile is that it can be done as a do-it-yourself countertop. The biggest mistake made when using tile for an outdoor countertop is to use plywood for the substrate. Make sure you pick a waterproof board if you are making a tile countertop for your outdoor kitchen. Do not use plywood.

My dilema is that I really don't want to use plywood on the grill island but if I use 3/4 on the other part of the L -- my counter heights won't match unless I build up with 1/2 and 1/4 Durock. And if I do this -- is that a suitable base on the grill side? Or can I just use 1/2" plywood on the non-grill side?

Or ... do I need to use plywood at all ??? That is my question ... any help is much appreciated !!

Thanks!

You have to remember that grout is not waterproof so water will get behind the tiles and onto whatever material you use as your base so plywood isn't a good idea. I guess you could use a waterproofing system on it like you do for shower walls prior to tiling, that might work (not sure) but it would be an added expense.

My cousin just got her outdoor kitchen done, $30k, they used pressured treated plywood and backer board on top with granite tiles. Although this site I ran into talks about using just regular plywood for framing but does not mention substrate for the countertop. The biggest issue with tiles is deflection, so the more movement the more your tiles will crack or grout will start to give. So if you strengthen your substrate enough with 1/2+1/4 backer board with more steel cross members, it should be fine. Make sure to stagger the gaps so you don't have a identical seam b/t the 1/2" and 1/4" backer board.

Personally with the advancements in built in grills, I don't see a problem with using regular plywood. Before I put my granite slab in, I had my firemagic built in grill on top of trex board around the opening, grilling for months. It Never melted, or ever got hot so it should not be a problem, but it will depend on the quality of the grill you are using too I guess. if your worried about your countertops catching fire, throw a smoke detector inside your cabinet. I have one, even though my outdoor kitchen is made of concrete, I have some wood cabinets for dishes, microwave and AV equipment.

http://www.diynetwork.com/projects/how-to-build-a-waterproof-outdoor-kitchen-cabinet/index.html

http://www.diynetwork.com/how-to/how-to-anchor-an-outdoor-kitchen-counter/index.html

http://www.diynetwork.com/how-to/how-to-weather-proof-an-outdoor-kitchen-cabinet/index.html

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.