What is Under Your Pool?

PPrince

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 25, 2013
North Coast of Ohio
I am working on clearing the sod and leveling the ground (which is back breaking work!) for setting up the pool. I am planning to use rigid foam insulation along with a foam cove and wall foam under the liner. I am wondering if putting down a sheet of 6 mil plastic first and then the rigid insulation is sufficient or if I need something else under the foam insulation? Any suggestions?

Also, is there a difference between the different pool cove products being sold. Most places don't tell you much about it. Thanks!

Treat the ground where the pool will be for nutgrass, then put down the pool floor material. You shouldn't need anything else, and if your area has nutgrass it will grow through plastic ground cover.

I am leveling for my 15' steel frame pool right now also (not fun at all). I plan on leveling and then just putting a heavy duty tarp down after spraying weed killer on the leveled area. Burying the blocks for the legs and might put a layer of sand down.

Take a look at my Intex pool's installation in North Hollywood. We used Gorilla pads, very tough, impenetrable, and such a smooth bottom!
Here's a tip, when you fill your pool for the first time, put just a half inch to an inch of water in the bottom and get inside and smooth out all the wrinkles. When nice and smooth, continue your fill.
http://s1270.photobucket.com/user/shaper1/library/Pool/BriarRoses Therapy Pool 2014

Mandolina - Your pool looks great. I considered a Gorilla pad, but the extruded polystyrene (XPS) rigid foam insulation should provide a smooth comfortable bottom. (From what I understand.) Also provides a small amount of insulation against the colder ground. Definitely will try to smooth out the bottom at the beginning of the filling process.

Blacklisted - I used a tarp under our previous 12' intex pool, mostly to offer some protection and keep the bottom of the pool clean because I took it down at the end of each season. This one will stay up.

Slammed01 - Good luck with your build.

I saw one place online indicate their cove was 4" high, which, according to them, was higher than other companies. However, I cannot find any real information about it. I would guess, there are some companies around who sell some cheap knockoff but for the most part, it seems to be about the same. If you have a local pool store, you can call them and ask what they recommend.

Mandolina - Your pool looks great. I considered a Gorilla pad, but the extruded polystyrene (XPS) rigid foam insulation should provide a smooth comfortable bottom. (From what I understand.) Also provides a small amount of insulation against the colder ground. Definitely will try to smooth out the bottom at the beginning of the filling process.

Blacklisted - I used a tarp under our previous 12' intex pool, mostly to offer some protection and keep the bottom of the pool clean because I took it down at the end of each season. This one will stay up.

Slammed01 - Good luck with your build.

Oh, "previous pool"! You are an old hand at this pool installation stuff and I see by your signature that you're going with a steel wall pool. Did you have to get a permit? Please post some pics of your build.

on our pool, it was dug down. blocks set. pool built on blocks. fill and wash sand hauled in to pool, spread and trowled, then the liner put in. So basically, the pool itself is only on blocks on the ground, the liner is on top of a few inches of sand.

on our "old" intex 18x48, I removed the grass, leveled the dirt, put down and leveled my pavers, put down the ground cloth (aka tarp):rolleyes: and put pool up. No sand or board or anything. In fact, intex just says to put their pools on the dirt, with a the "ground cloth" without any sand or other substrate.

just make sure you removed all rocks and any roots.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well I decided to use DG- Decomposed Granite as a base instead of the sand. I am glad I made the decision to use the DG, it seems to pack nicely. I am renting a plate compactor today and pack and add more where needed. I think I will just put down a heavy duty tarp under the pool. Here is a pic of the progress so far.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.