Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What is Under Your Pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

What is Under Your Pool?

I am working on clearing the sod and leveling the ground (which is back breaking work!) for setting up the pool. I am planning to use rigid foam insulation along with a foam cove and wall foam under the liner. I am wondering if putting down a sheet of 6 mil plastic first and then the rigid insulation is sufficient or if I need something else under the foam insulation? Any suggestions?

Also, is there a difference between the different pool cove products being sold. Most places don't tell you much about it. Thanks!
    Paul

8000 gal 18' x 48" AG steel wall pool, 1 HP Hayward Perflex DE filter, SWG, Jandy Lite 2 Heater - 175K BTU

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What is Under Your Pool?

Treat the ground where the pool will be for nutgrass, then put down the pool floor material. You shouldn't need anything else, and if your area has nutgrass it will grow through plastic ground cover.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks. I will treat for nut grass. Leveling almost done!
    Paul

8000 gal 18' x 48" AG steel wall pool, 1 HP Hayward Perflex DE filter, SWG, Jandy Lite 2 Heater - 175K BTU

4. Back To Top    #4

I am leveling for my 15' steel frame pool right now also (not fun at all). I plan on leveling and then just putting a heavy duty tarp down after spraying weed killer on the leveled area. Burying the blocks for the legs and might put a layer of sand down.
    Intex 15'x42" Metal Frame pool 4200 GAL with Intex SWG. TF-100 test kit. Our Pool Install Thread

In Work! Master Spas Legend Series LSI 557 3-4 person Hot Tub, 230 GAL using bromine to sanitize it. Hot Tub Install Thread

5. Back To Top    #5

Looks like Im going sand with terrace border after roundup and some leveling. Cant find foam anywhere around me oh well, money saved I guess....

6. Back To Top    #6

Take a look at my Intex pool's installation in North Hollywood. We used Gorilla pads, very tough, impenetrable, and such a smooth bottom!
    Here's a tip, when you fill your pool for the first time, put just a half inch to an inch of water in the bottom and get inside and smooth out all the wrinkles. When nice and smooth, continue your fill.
    http://s1270.photobucket.com/user/sh...%20Pool%202014
    16' x 48" 5000 gal. Intex Ultra Frame AG Pool, Los Angeles, CA
    Hayward Full-Flow Cartridge Filter System with 2 Speed Power-Flo Matrix Pump,
    Intex SWG, Intex Wall Mount Surface Skimmer, Solar cover & Solar Roller,
    Confer Plastics A-Frame 7200 Adjustable Roll-Guard Safety Ladder,
    Kokido SkoobaMax Vac, Custom Canine entry & exit ramps,

7. Back To Top    #7

Mandolina - Your pool looks great. I considered a Gorilla pad, but the extruded polystyrene (XPS) rigid foam insulation should provide a smooth comfortable bottom. (From what I understand.) Also provides a small amount of insulation against the colder ground. Definitely will try to smooth out the bottom at the beginning of the filling process.

Blacklisted - I used a tarp under our previous 12' intex pool, mostly to offer some protection and keep the bottom of the pool clean because I took it down at the end of each season. This one will stay up.

Slammed01 - Good luck with your build.
    Paul

8. Back To Top    #8

I saw one place online indicate their cove was 4" high, which, according to them, was higher than other companies. However, I cannot find any real information about it. I would guess, there are some companies around who sell some cheap knockoff but for the most part, it seems to be about the same. If you have a local pool store, you can call them and ask what they recommend.
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by PPrince View Post
    Mandolina - Your pool looks great. I considered a Gorilla pad, but the extruded polystyrene (XPS) rigid foam insulation should provide a smooth comfortable bottom. (From what I understand.) Also provides a small amount of insulation against the colder ground. Definitely will try to smooth out the bottom at the beginning of the filling process.

Blacklisted - I used a tarp under our previous 12' intex pool, mostly to offer some protection and keep the bottom of the pool clean because I took it down at the end of each season. This one will stay up.

Slammed01 - Good luck with your build.
    Oh, "previous pool"! You are an old hand at this pool installation stuff and I see by your signature that you're going with a steel wall pool. Did you have to get a permit? Please post some pics of your build.
    16' x 48" 5000 gal. Intex Ultra Frame AG Pool, Los Angeles, CA
    Hayward Full-Flow Cartridge Filter System with 2 Speed Power-Flo Matrix Pump,
    Intex SWG, Intex Wall Mount Surface Skimmer, Solar cover & Solar Roller,
    Confer Plastics A-Frame 7200 Adjustable Roll-Guard Safety Ladder,
    Kokido SkoobaMax Vac, Custom Canine entry & exit ramps,

10. Back To Top    #10

on our pool, it was dug down. blocks set. pool built on blocks. fill and wash sand hauled in to pool, spread and trowled, then the liner put in. So basically, the pool itself is only on blocks on the ground, the liner is on top of a few inches of sand.

on our "old" intex 18x48, I removed the grass, leveled the dirt, put down and leveled my pavers, put down the ground cloth (aka tarp) and put pool up. No sand or board or anything. In fact, intex just says to put their pools on the dirt, with a the "ground cloth" without any sand or other substrate.

just make sure you removed all rocks and any roots.
    Partially buried Doughboy Desert Spring 16 x 32, sport pool, with 7 ft deep middle, 20,000 gallons, Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1.5 HP 2 speed pump, 250 lb sandfilter, 2 Doughboy skimmers and 2 returns. 2 cascade fountains.
    Taylor K-2006 kit. Zodiac Barracuda Ranger suction side cleaner.
    TFPC method and is crystal clear every day thanks to TFP!!!

11. Back To Top    #11

Well I decided to use DG- Decomposed Granite as a base instead of the sand. I am glad I made the decision to use the DG, it seems to pack nicely. I am renting a plate compactor today and pack and add more where needed. I think I will just put down a heavy duty tarp under the pool. Here is a pic of the progress so far.

Intex 15'x42" Metal Frame pool 4200 GAL with Intex SWG. TF-100 test kit. Our Pool Install Thread

In Work! Master Spas Legend Series LSI 557 3-4 person Hot Tub, 230 GAL using bromine to sanitize it. Hot Tub Install Thread