Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: A&A low-profile infloor cleaner valve - experiences?

1. Back To Top    #1

A&A low-profile infloor cleaner valve - experiences?

Hi all,
    I've just completely worn through a set of gears in just 2 years. I know some other folks have the same system, is this the normal lifespan for yours? It makes me wonder if something is getting through the filter and grinding them up, though I've never noticed anything coming through.

Gears aren't that expensive, but it makes me wonder.

The valve looks like this:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: A&A low-profile infloor cleaner valve - experiences?

I didn't answer because I was not sure what brand I have (I am not original owner). Pool was built around 2005. I was ignorant and it took me a while in around 2011/2012 to realize not all my heads were working. I think mine is a higher profile, older model but I looked up the replacement parts for A&A and it looked like what I purchased.

So mine lasted somewhere in the 5-6 year range and I ran it a lot of hours each day with an old single speed pump.
    I replaced almost the whole thing and it was a pain because my piping meant I had to cut and replumb as there was no clearance. The next time it happens I may just have all the piping reworked. Hope this helps. It does seems yours failed prematurely based on my single example
    10000 Gal, IG Pebbletec, pop up cleaners,Hayward EcoStar VS, 425 sq ft Hayward Cartridge, waterfall feature

3. Back To Top    #3

Yeah, yours has a different style of gears that are more compact and possibly more durable. Just curious.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Melt In The Sun View Post
    Yeah, yours has a different style of gears that are more compact and possibly more durable. Just curious.
    Is there a warranty on the gears?
    10000 Gal, IG Pebbletec, pop up cleaners,Hayward EcoStar VS, 425 sq ft Hayward Cartridge, waterfall feature