Pump lose water when shut off at night

Jun 5, 2012
Hi, last year i replaced my old single speed pump to Pentair 2 speed pump. This year i found a problem recently, i schedule my pump to run low speeed from 7:00 Am to 11 PM daily. When the pump is shut off at night, next day the morning i see the water is losing inside the pump housing. Is this normal? Because when prime on low speed, the water is slow and it takes very long to full prime and have air inside the pipe. I don't notify this last year. Could anyone let me know is this normal?

I would first suspect you have leak somewhere on the equipment pad. If you dont have any noticeable wet spots on the pad to start investigating, try this. Get the unit primed and running, bleed all air off and let it run 10-15 mins then shut the pump off and see whether you can hear the air going into the system and water draining back through the suction pipes to the pool.

Closely listen to, check and snug up: the air bleeder valve on the filter, perhaps the gauge, then the unions in/out on the filter and top of the multiport valve, the filter drain plug. Then move to the pump - strainer basket lid (lube the o-ring well), drain plug. Then move to any jandy valves on the incoming lines or return routing.

You likely have something that is tight under pressure and loose when idle. I had a confounding similar experience with a union on my unused tab chlorinator at startup this year. Loose! but held water under pressure. I ran the unit 24/7 for a couple of days to keep it primed until I traced it down.

Tonight i lube my pump strainer pot lid, but after 1 hour later the water is still losing inside the pump housing. I listen closely and i heard air leaking sound around the pump union (The one connected to the sand filter) or around the pressure gauge. They both are very close to each other. I did remove the gauge and reinsert again, but i still heard the air leaking around there. It looks like the air leaking is the pump union.

So, do you remove any part of your equipment inside for storage or have you recently moved the filter? Sounds like you simply need to determine if the filter is aligned properly and the fittings arent in a bind, check to see if the unions are snug and then do a leak test on them. Use the search feature at the top right of the page to find threads on suction testing with shaving cream if you think there may be a crack in one of the unions.

No, only the pool company opened the pump union to change the sand inside the sand filter. I try to reopen the union again and i see the pump union (male?) attach to the filter is not tight enough. When i try hand open the pump union and i see the pump union (male) is slightly turn left side.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.