Pressure side vacs...do they work well?

Crzyfrlss1

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 6, 2008
Central, CT
Using the search function I have discovered many who are unhappy with the Polaris 65 but I have found nothing on the Baracuda Zippy.

As most of you all know, us Intex owners face some pretty unique challenges when it comes to proper pool care because of it's lackluster filter system.

Do you think my pump would have enough psi. to even run these cleaners?
Any and all opinions welcomed.

If it helps at all, and aside from being discontinued, I really like my Barracuda Mars HP. Keeps the pool very clean. It does leave some small amounts of sand on the bottom which is coming, I'm thinking, from the the traffic across the new decking.

Hope that helps.

Dan

sammm said:
Check out the Polaris 360. Made to run with the existing pump. I added one to my pool and it works great!
I too have a Polaris 360 and I am less than impressed so far. It spends most of it's time stuck in one of two spots. The hose is 6" longer than the furthest point of the pool like the manual suggests. The hose connectors constantly leak, dropping psi to the unit itself. The tail doesn't whip around like it should and it does not get up on the steps or tanning deck.

The only thing I really like about it is that it can run all day and uses no added electricity.

My general conclusion is now starting to look like pressure side cleaners work for some but not all people.

I think I may give suction side cleaners a look because I just picked up a 16" 150# sand filter and a 3/4 h.p. pump to go with it.

Now comes the challenge of getting whatever I need to get it connected.

Crzyfrlss1 said:
My general conclusion is now starting to look like pressure side cleaners work for some but not all people.
If you read enough of the forums on the net the same could also be said for suction sides and robots.

I feel it would be more appropriate to say that automatic cleaners, no matter the type, work for most but not all people. I also feel that it would be appropriate to say that, in most cases, prices has a direct impact on how well the cleaner works.

waterbear said:
Crzyfrlss1 said:
I also feel that it would be appropriate to say that, in most cases, prices has a direct impact on how well the cleaner works.

I remember reading about that just today in "pool school" :oops:

sammm said:
Like most things, you get what you pay for. Good luck.

Ain't that the truth :lol:

Basically I'm looking for something that will clean the pool floor while I'm at work without having to resort to a robot.
I have no problems with doing regular daily maintenance I just want to spend less time doing it daily and I believe adding the sand filter and upgraded pump just added many more options for pool cleaning.

There are so many types and brands of cleaners out there, how do you know which one to pick and be happy with it?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
duraleigh said:
crzy,

Did you read the article in pool school?

Yes I did.

These paragraphs stick in my mind the most.

Essentially, you pay for cleaning horsepower. The bigger and faster the cleaner, the more you will pay. Smaller pools do fine with smaller (less expensive) cleaners. Larger pools will overwhelm a small cleaner.

This article contains a lot of generalizations. Often, new pool owners simply want to know, "Which one is best"? The answer is to understand how the price of the unit relates to their cleaning power. Then decide how much cleaning power is necessary for your pool.

I'm guessing this means I don't need anything too elaborate since I only have a 15' round pool.
But still there are alot of options out here.

h2o said:
I too have a Polaris 360 and I am less than impressed so far. It spends most of it's time stuck in one of two spots.

Is the auto-reverse valve (not sure what the official name is) working? It should automatically reverse direction every X number of minutes. What is it getting stuck on/in?

sammm said:
h2o said:
I too have a Polaris 360 and I am less than impressed so far. It spends most of it's time stuck in one of two spots.

Is the auto-reverse valve (not sure what the official name is) working? It should automatically reverse direction every X number of minutes. What is it getting stuck on/in?
Yes, the back-up valve works. It gets stuck in the two furthest points of the pool. The hose winds up in a small loop similar to a garden hose kinking (although it doesn't actually kink) and it just kind of sits in that one spot until the back-up kicks in. Once it starts moving forward again it will either go back to the same spot or it will end up back there within a few minutes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.