Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Algae Blooms with FC

1. Back To Top    #1

Algae Blooms with FC

This is my first post but have been reading posts and doing my own testing for a year now.

My problem is algae blooms that return with FC greater than 4. After a 12 inch rainstorm last year I started having some problems. When I got the pool ready to swim in April, I noted gray slimy material, which brushed away easily. I brought up to MSL and held for a few days. The next rain we had, the pool got cloudy even though the FC was 4 and found more of the gray slimy stuff and brushed it all, and opened the lights to clean out the nooks. Passed the OFCT and let it come back down.

We had rain last week and I immediately brought up to regular shock level. Still yesterday the filter pressure started climbing, and today I noted a little cloudiness, bur did not find any slimy material. The Pool chemistry this morning was:

FC 4.5
    CYA 50
    PH 7.5
    TA 900

I have already brought the FC up to 32. Any other suggestions?
    GPete
    20,000 gallon pool, plaster, SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Algae Blooms with FC

Your cya is a bit low for a SWG. We recommend 70-80. Maintain the SLAM process until you pass alll 3 criteria.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

So I did the SLAM process 3 weeks ago and passed all 3 criteria. The FC has not been below 4.0 since. Does this seem to be Mustard Algae even though it appears gray?
    GPete

4. Back To Top    #4

What type of filter do you have?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

DE Filter
    GPete

6. Back To Top    #6

If you have not done a thorough cleaning on the DE filter lately I would open it up and hose everything off. Is the gray stuff still slimy feeling? Any trees or landscaping next to the pool?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

When are you testing FC? With low CYA and a SWG, you'll probably find the morning FC is higher than evening FC, especially if you only run the pump at night or if you run 24x7.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!