Should I SLAM after each heavy swimming?

newbie_pool

Oct 30, 2013
Houston, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi,

So we had a big party over the weekend with heavy swimming of 15 kids. I added extra 2-3 ppm of liquid chlorine right before the party and a little right after. My current FC reading is at 8 ppm which is slightly above the Target FC (7 ppm) and TC level is always at 0 ppm. Long story short, do you guys normally SLAM after such heavy swimming? Is it necessary to SLAM? Or as long as I can maintain the target Level, I'm safe?

If I have to SLAM, does it mean I have to bring up to Shock FC level which is 24 ppm? I can't seem to find cheap deals on liquid chlorine around here so usually cost me around $20 for SLAM process..... try to avoid unnecessary step here if possible. :)

Yeah, I meant the total chlorine, a.k.a. combined chlorine.

CC is NOT TC

TC = FC + CC

From ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry in pool school:

Combined chlorine is an intermediate breakdown product created in the process of sanitizing the pool. CC causes the "chlorine" smell many people associate with chlorine pools. If CC is above 0.5, you should SLAM your pool. CC indicates that there is something in the water that the FC is in the process of breaking down.

CC is bad and should be close to 0 in a properly sanitized pool.

CC is NOT TC

TC = FC + CC

From ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry in pool school:

CC is bad and should be close to 0 in a properly sanitized pool.

Thanks for your clarification. I am always confused between those two. My CC level is 0 when I did the test so even though with heavy swimming, it looked like I am safe as long as my FC and CC are at where they should be.

I'm new here, but I just cleaned up my pool, so I feel empowered to give advice. Take it for what its worth...

I would perform an OCLT a few days ahead of the big swim. That will tell you if you have an existing problem, and give you time to fix it if its not a major problem. Then I would adjust or allow FC to settle to the high end of goal range as suggested above.

After big swim, perform an OCLT test that night, and react accordingly. Hopefully, all will be well, and you can keep up with routine maintenance and no SLAM will be required.

jim

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.