Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Intex Pool PVC Plumbing

1. Back To Top    #1

Intex Pool PVC Plumbing

I have a metal frame 15 by 48 Intex pool with Intex krystal Clear Saltwater System and Filter Pump connected to the standard Intex pool inlet and outlet (plunger valve). This runs at night automatically for chlorine generation and works well.

However it wasn't powerful enough for cleaning / solar heating circulation so I bought a Hayward pump with a Hayward cartridge filter for additional circulation and cleaning. I currently hang these hoses over the side with the pool outlet hose weighted down with bat weight.

This summer my project is to hard plumb the pool. I ordered a Hayward SP1091LX Dyna-Skim Above-Ground Pool Skimmer and Accessory Kit.

Because the Intex salt generator has a pump as well, I don't think I can connect it, so plan on leaving the intex pump fittings alone with timer to only run at night. Is this reasonable or can I plumb them all together.

I planned to install the Hayward skimmer and cut a new pool inflow (using the Hayward accessory that comes with skimmer). Then pvc plumb the skimmer to Hayward pump, pump to hayward cartridge filter, and cartridge filter to (a) pool inflow (where do you suggest I place that), and (b) pvc water fountain like many on this site. Do I need another intake for safety or is it ok to just run the skimmer connected to hayward pump. Does this skimmer allow the connection of a vacuum? I use a Baracuda Ranger cleaner and was the main reason for the second pump.

I'll document my install as I proceed. If it is felt best to leave my Intex SWG and pump separate, I do not need to pvc plumb those right away. If I am going to connect that, I'll use the box adapters as discussed. Thoughts.. I want to make sure I am plumbing this the best way before I start.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Intex Pool PVC Plumbing

That skimmer allows for a vacuum to be connected.

It's ok to just run the skimmer. Those skimmers are designed to be entrapment safe.

Post a pic of the swg and we'll see what can be done about plumbing it into the main water circuit.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

4. Back To Top    #4

Your best bet with that unit might be to run it separately until it goes out and then get a stand alone unit.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

My thoughts exactly... Where should I install the new pool inflow to connect with skimmer/pump/filter circuit... near top so it sprays across pool or deeper.
    Thanks...

6. Back To Top    #6

Most people just use the existing return location and cut it out and install a standard eyeball wall fitting. However, if you're using that one for the swg, you may want to locate the new one in a different place close to the same elevation.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

7. Back To Top    #7

I'm doing this from my phone so hopefully the URL is correct. You can get an idea of how I plumbed in a my pump/sand filter/chlorinator. Couldn't be happier with the setup http://www.troublefreepool.com/showthread.php?t=78803

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by poolsam View Post
    I have the same SWG with the filter and pump. I also have the Intex sand filter and pump, I think it's the 1600gph. I plan on using the SWG as the main "brain" if you will to run the other pump and filter setup. I am in the process of leveling my back yard and putting my pool back up.

You might be able to "Y" the SWG in the plumbing and just not use the filter cartridge for m the SWG. That way you would only have to run one in and out of the pool.
    Intex 15'x42" Metal Frame pool 4200 GAL with Intex SWG. TF-100 test kit. Our Pool Install Thread

In Work! Master Spas Legend Series LSI 557 3-4 person Hot Tub, 230 GAL using bromine to sanitize it. Hot Tub Install Thread