Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: A fresh start

1. Back To Top    #1

Allentown, PA

A fresh start

My wife and I purchased an older home with a pool, and like most of the house it appears to be a wreck. The pool was not opened for 2+ years under a mesh cover and bottom was not visible through the black sludge. I've been learning by reading a bit here and also gathering estimates to redo coping, tile and surface, all of which are deteriorating. I've met a lot of nice people along the way and the consensus has been this.
    1. Dude, that is a huge pool.
    2. It is painted; You have not idea what you've gotten into.
    3. I'll give you a price, but can't help you this summer.
    4. You need to get your system sorted out before we can even consider moving forward.
    5. Drain it and go swimming.

I pumped the thing out scrubbing along the way. Popped hydrostatic plug. For now, it is what it is. I'll need to save funds to redo it next year. However, I welcome the chance to learn my system and get up to speed on TFP.

Is there any benefit to additional repair/cleaning/washing other than cosmetic?
    Is there a link to how to begin with fresh fill water, or do I just use standard PoolMath?

I'm leaving town this week, but am ordering a test kit so I can get going on my return.

Thanks for this community, Jeffery
    Attached Images Attached Images
    28,000 gal., circa 1975 painted concrete IG
    2.2 HP; DE Fiter; Spa with Raypak heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Houston, TX

Re: A fresh start

Welcome to TFP!

If it were a new plaster job there would be startup etc. to do.

Given your situation - make sure it is clean (algae scrubbed off) and fill er up!
    TFP Moderator Chris V. ~16K Pool & Spa, 48NSF DE, IG Plaster Circa 2000, Intermatic PE653, Challenger pump with a 2 speed B2984, 20gal stenner chlorine injection, Houston, TX
    One cannot follow Islam and Christianity at the same time, nor can one follow pool store methods and TFP at the same time.
    Pool School -- Pool Math -- TF-Test Kit