Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Best variable speed pump??

1. Back To Top    #1

Best variable speed pump??

I have the hayward Pro Logic controller with salt system and I need to replace my pump assembly. I am looking to upgrade to a variable spped pump. What pump will interface with this system the easiest? I have a 20000 gal pool and a water feature. no polaris output or other accessories... (Not put in by my pool builder for some reason).
    20K Gal Blue Plaster IG with rock waterfall, Beach Entry, Hayward Goldline Pro Logic controller and SWG,
    Sta-Rite System 3 S7M400 cartridge filter, 1-1/2 HP pump, Energy Therm Heat Pump, Nexxus Savi LED lighting

500 Gal Dynasty Miramax Fiberglass Cinema Spa

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Best variable speed pump??

What's your electric cost. If it's less than .30 KWh you may be better served with a 2 speed motor/pump. If the pump portion is ok, it's easier to just replace/upgrade the motor.
    Bob
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

3. Back To Top    #3

Unfortunately the pump is shot too. I have to upgrade the whole assembly. Not sure of my kWh cost. I will try to look that up.
    20K Gal Blue Plaster IG with rock waterfall, Beach Entry, Hayward Goldline Pro Logic controller and SWG,
    Sta-Rite System 3 S7M400 cartridge filter, 1-1/2 HP pump, Energy Therm Heat Pump, Nexxus Savi LED lighting

4. Back To Top    #4

The EcoStar is probably the best VS to pair up with the ProLogic.

But SC gets quite a bit of lightning so you will want to make sure you budget in a surge/lighting protector. With the extra pump cost, you will probably find that the lifetime cost of the VS route is going to be much more than a simple two speed. Although you may going with a VS for other reasons too.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

The ecostar is the one I have been looking at. I currently have a 1 1/2 hp single speed pump. I doubt that my pool builder really figured out the requirements on my pool. He actrually went through three pumps putting it in because he could not get them to prime. He originally had a 3/4 hp pump on the pool and a 1 hp on the waterfall.
    How can I cvcalculate which pump I need with my pool size and waterfall?

6. Back To Top    #6

How big is the waterfall and/or do you know how much flow rate it requires?

How far is the pump elevated above the water line?

A 3/4 HP pump should have worked fine but it depends on the above questions.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by mas985 View Post
    How big is the waterfall and/or do you know how much flow rate it requires?

How far is the pump elevated above the water line?

A 3/4 HP pump should have worked fine but it depends on the above questions.
    It is a fairly large waterfall. Not sure of the flow rate. However it has always seemed underpowered. The pump is about 3 feet above the waterline.

8. Back To Top    #8

Did the PB put in a check valve before the pump? With that elevation, he should have to help with priming.

Also, what size pipe did they use for the waterfall, suction and pressure?
    Mark

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by mas985 View Post
    Did the PB put in a check valve before the pump? With that elevation, he should have to help with priming.

Also, what size pipe did they use for the waterfall, suction and pressure?
    2" pipe for everything. I put in a check valve after he finally gave up. This has helped quite a bit with priming. I am going to clean up the plumbing in general while I put in the new pump.

We are about to go to court as the water feature was never finished, along with quite a few other issues never completed.

10. Back To Top    #10

Mark is definitely this forums expert when it comes to pump matters. I'll defer to him.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

11. Back To Top    #11

Given that the waterfall was somewhat less than inspiring even with a 1 1/2 HP pump, the VS might be a good choice so you can get some extra flow out of it and easier to optimize. But just make sure you get lightning protection.
    Mark

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

Another option could be the Tri Star Variable Speed Pump which is specifically designed to work with the Pro Logic Controller Part # SP3200VSPND http://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/lite.../LITTSVS14.pdf This is basically the same as the normal Tri Star Variable Speed Pump but does not come with a controller on top of the pump as you will be using the Pro Logic to control the pump. Because this pump does not have the controller on the pump it costs a little bit less.