Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What kind of connector to use to keep a hose on the backwash nozzle?

1. Back To Top    #1

What kind of connector to use to keep a hose on the backwash nozzle?

Here's my backwash nozzle and the hose I want to connect it to. Is there some sort of connector or something I can use that will keep both pieces on when I run the water?

~21,000 gal, IG Vinyl w/Liner, Hayward Pro-Grid DE2420 DE filter, Built: ~2002, manual vacuum, K-2006 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What kind of connector to use to keep a hose on the backwash nozzle?

That appears to be a vacuum hose. I'm not sure there is any "official" way to connect that to a backwash port. Most backwash hoses are the flat kind that roll up like a fire hose (Some people even use fire hoses). They slide over the backwash port and clamp on with a hose clamp.

Maybe someone will be able to suggest something but I haven't seen anything around about connecting one of those to anything but a vacuum port. I would worry that sliding it over something (Some type of reducer fitting) would result in it shooting back off once the pressure of the backwashing water hits it...

Hmmmmmmm let's see who's creative out there!
    18' x 48" (42" water depth) Intex Metal Frame 6,700 Gallons
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.0 HP pump
    Hayward Pro Series S166T Sand Filter
    Original Intex Floating Skimmer

3. Back To Top    #3

If you're intent on using that hose, I'd look for a pipe repair type sleeve that matches the right size of the hose/adapter. Something like this: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Fernco-1-...-100/202245805

Just measure the OD of the fitting and hose first and get the right size.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Beens View Post
    That appears to be a vacuum hose. I'm not sure there is any "official" way to connect that to a backwash port. Most backwash hoses are the flat kind that roll up like a fire hose (Some people even use fire hoses). They slide over the backwash port and clamp on with a hose clamp.

Maybe someone will be able to suggest something but I haven't seen anything around about connecting one of those to anything but a vacuum port. I would worry that sliding it over something (Some type of reducer fitting) would result in it shooting back off once the pressure of the backwashing water hits it...

Hmmmmmmm let's see who's creative out there!
    Thanks, I'll just pick up the flat hose. It looks like 1 1/2" is the normal size, but I believe the nozzle for the backwash is more like 1 1/4". Do you think getting a 1 1/2" backwash hose will be just fine as long as I'm using a hose clamp?
    ~21,000 gal, IG Vinyl w/Liner, Hayward Pro-Grid DE2420 DE filter, Built: ~2002, manual vacuum, K-2006 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by callmedpit View Post
    Thanks, I'll just pick up the flat hose. It looks like 1 1/2" is the normal size, but I believe the nozzle for the backwash is more like 1 1/4". Do you think getting a 1 1/2" backwash hose will be just fine as long as I'm using a hose clamp?
    That's what I use currently. I try to neatly wrap the excess to the side and then put on the hose clamp.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons