Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: GFCI Choices

1. Back To Top    #1

GFCI Choices

To make a long story short, I bought a house last summer with an inground pool that was installed in 1980 and it has been powered off of a 25 ft extension cord all of this time. It's scary to even look at. I decided I needed to redo the electrical for my pool.

Currently all I have is a Hayward Super Pump running on 120v. Thinking ahead, I ran a 50 amp 240v subpanel into the garage. From the subpanel to the pool house I am running (1) 15 amp 120v for receptacles and lighting, (1) 20 amp 240v for the pool pump, and (1) 40 amp 240v for a heat pump.

Should I just go ahead and install a 50 amp GFCI in the main panel that feeds the subpanel? I have heard of false trips doing this. Or is it recommended to do two separate GFCI's for the receptacles / lighting circuit and pool pump circuit. From what I understand the heat pump circuit can be a standard breaker.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: GFCI Choices

A CFCI in the main panel will not work. It will be tripping constantly. You need separate GFCI on each of the circuits you need it on. GFCI is not required for the heater, but it is a good idea.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

It is a NEC code violation to run more than one circuit to a detached structure. The best option at this point would be to run a 240 circuit (4 wires, 2 hots, one neutral, one ground) to the pool house and then divide up the circuits from there.

The one circuit rule includes multi wire branch circuits that share a common neutral.
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

4. Back To Top    #4

Well luckily my pool house is attached because it is built into the corner of the house and garage. I did ponder if I should just run the subpanel all the way out into the pool house but decided it would be better to keep the panel in the garage and just run the individual circuits through the adjoining wall.

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

In that case Jason's recommendations should have you covered. The heat pump will require a disconnect in the area (in view) of the unit.
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump