1. Back To Top    #1

PH and Alkalinity

Latest readings on pool showed

FC-3
    CC-.5
    PH-7.8
    TA- 50
    CYA-30

I have had little bit of algae show up and wanted to knock it out. I know CYA is low and I have more to put in. I will also bring pool up to Slam to get rid of this algae.

My question is this. According to the SWG balance I need to get my pH to around 7.6 (which calls for 9oz of acid) and my TA to around 70 (which calls for 127 oz baking soda). In reading I know that lowering pH with acid will also reduce my TA. Does the pool calculator already take that in consideration with the recommendation of 9 oz of acid or do I need to plan on adding more baking soda? Should I even adjust pH. Is there away to lower pH and not affect TA? Thanks for your help.
    27k gal, vinyl, Pentair SD-80 sand filter, Pentair 1.5 hp pump, intellichlor ic40 SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: PH and Alkalinity

Don't sweat the TA. Bring the pH down to 7.2 and follow the slam procedure. Remember that the M in slam is maintain, check your CL level early and often.

Once you finish the slam you can adjust the TA ... if you deem it necessary. It is generally one of the last things to bring in line and the appropriate level for your pool will be be up to you to determine.
    TFP Moderator Chris V. ~16K Pool & Spa, 48NSF DE, IG Plaster Circa 2000, Intermatic PE653, Challenger pump with a 2 speed B2984, 20gal stenner chlorine injection, Houston, TX
    One cannot follow Islam and Christianity at the same time, nor can one follow pool store methods and TFP at the same time.
    Pool School -- Pool Math -- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank for the reply. One question, in reading water balance for SWG it says to never lower pH below 7.5. Any particular reason to drop to 7.2?
    27k gal, vinyl, Pentair SD-80 sand filter, Pentair 1.5 hp pump, intellichlor ic40 SWG

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Mep32jep View Post
    Thank for the reply. One question, in reading water balance for SWG it says to never lower pH below 7.5. Any particular reason to drop to 7.2?
    Yes.
    1) During the SLAM, yours is a bleach pool. Balance for SWG doesn't apply.
    2) You can't measure pH accurately during the SLAM, and pH rises as a general rule. So you adjust it before the SLAM and hope it stays in range for the duration.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Makes sense. Thank for the help