Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Brown Algae?

1. Back To Top    #1

Brown Algae?

Hi Folks,
    I have had some small dark spots in the shallow end for about one month now. They won't come off when brushing with a metal algae brush so I got a mask, snorkel and pumice stone and went to work on them individually. I noticed that these dots looked more brown than black to me. - even when they smeared they still looked brown - not green. I am try to figure out if this is black or green or mustard algae .
    I put a fortune's worth of bleach into this ingroud plaster pool and brushed it regularly,. The little dots are barely noticeable but I am losing quite a bit of chlorine at night time. I cant pass the OCLT test. The pool itself looks pretty darn good but I FEEL That I am not making any progress on whatever is living in the pool.
    I tried scraping the spots iwth a tri-chlor puck too,

Any other advise?

15000 Gal. In Ground Plaster
    ph- 7.2
    FC 12-25ppm
    CYA -30

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Brown Algae?

All kinds of algae except black algae brush off. And even black algae will partially brush off. If a steel brush is not affecting the spot, it isn't algae.

Brown spots sound like iron stains. Try holding a vitamin C tablet against one of the spots for 30 seconds and see if that does anything.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I tried the Vitamin C tablet against it and it did not affect it. I lose quite a bit of chlorine at night so that is why I was thinking it could be algae.
    The pool looks great but the walls and floor do feel slippery to the touch. When I brush the pool I can always see "dust " from my brush stroke.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Tucson, AZ

Sounds like you have not completed the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process yet if you can not pass the OCLT and the pool feels slimy.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!