Pool water tastes like I have my tongue on a 9 Volt battery.

Jun 25, 2009
Loogootee, IN
I got my new pool set up and finally finished filling it up last night. (updated my signature line) I added 27oz of the HTH Stabilizer (CYA) per recommendation from the pool calculator. Ran the cartridge filter that came with the pool for 4hrs. (waiting for new sand filter system to come in) This evening, Although water is still cold, I decided to get in. With the kids splashing and I wrestling with them I obviously got a little water in my mouth. It tasted like a tin can metal taste or like when you test a 9volt battery with your tongue. It kinda threw me because, I filled the pool with city water. And my drinking water doesn't taste like this. Although I do have a water softner, not sure if the outside water spicket is inline with the water softner as well or not.

After the kids got out for the night, And Before I put in the bleach for the first time,

I tested the water and these are the results I got:

PH 7.5

Alkalinity 450ppm

Hardness 50ppm

No CYA test yet, waiting for my refill to come in as well.

Any recommendations on what my Alkalinity should be?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.