New liner and new T 100 kit

Jun 8, 2014
SE Ohio
just put in a new liner, first one in fourteen yrs., filled with new water ready for a new start away for the peroxide base expense. I've been test and treating for five days and can't seen tho get the PH to stay put. Add all of the amounts stated in pool math and been brushing whats gathering not alot for now.

Welcome!

Please post a full set of test results.

Welcome! :wave:

Test results will help a lot. If your fill water has high TA, it's going to drive pH up in a hurry, especially if you have any water features like a spa, a slide, or a waterfall.

Also, take a good look at the acid you're using. A lot of it is diluted and then cleverly marketed as "lower fumes" or whatever to justify adding a bunch of water. If the wrong strength is used in poolmath, you won't get the results you expect.

Take a few minutes to fill out your signature with the equipment. It helps a lot. Instructions how are here.

been testing and treating for five days with the TF-100 test kit. Following pool math directions trying to keep PH down. FC 6 PH 8 TA 170 CH 100 I've been reading this site for while and want to get away from peroxibe base treatment. Chlorine alway makes me think of green hair, but I'll give it a shot. CYA has never shown a reading and CC the same. Water is clear with a few small spots that I brush away.

Last edited:
been testing and treating for five days with the TF-100 test kit. Following pool math directions trying to keep PH down. FC 6 PH 8 TA 170 CH 100 I've been reading this site for while and want to get away from peroxibe base treatment. Chlorine alway makes me think of green hair, but I'll give it a shot. CYA has never shown a reading and CC the same. Water is clear with a few small spots that I brush away.
If you've been dosing that water for 5 days and the TA is still at 170, there's your problem. It probably started close to 300 and the pH was probably off the scale. Anything above the scale shows as the highest pH and it could easily have been higher, so you add and add acid and it doesn't budge.

Have you added any stabilizer to raise the CYA level? That will help keep the FC level up. Right now, 6 FC and no CYA is going to be very harsh on the skin and on eyes.

Study up on http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/123-abc-of-pool-water-chemistry

OK I understand Cyanuric Acid needs to be added....so where do I get it, is it something at the pool store or does it come in another form.

It is usually sold as stabilizer or conditioner. There is CYA in dichlor and trichlor (stabilized chlorine) as well. You don't want to add too much though as the only way to remove it is draining some of the water and refilling. It does not evaporate or dissipate.

What have you been using as the source of your chlorine?

Cya, or cyanuric acid can usually be found at most home improvement or Walmart. It is sold as stabilizer and main ingredient is cyanuric acid. Use calculator to see how much to add, put that in a gym sock and hang in front of one of your return jets and just let it dissolve. You can give it a squeeze every once in a while. Won't show up on your test for a week, so don't even bother testing.

CYA - Cyanuric Acid

CYA can be raised with cyanuric acid. Cyanuric acid is sold under a variety of names, including Stabilizer, Conditioner, Instant Pool Water Conditioner, Stabilizer 100, Stabilizer & Conditioner, etc. Instant Pool Water Conditioner is a liquid product which is significantly more expensive than the other forms.

Solid cyanuric acid should be placed in a sock, and the sock put in the skimmer basket. After adding solid cyanuric acid you should leave the pump running for 24 hours and not backwash/clean the filter for a week. Solid cyanuric acid can take up to a week to fully register on the test, so it is best not to test the CYA level until one week after adding some.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/139-recommended-pool-chemicals

The pool store will have it, but the salesmen will probably have a go at you and you'll leave broke, scared, and confused. I'd look at Walmart or the pool aisle of the local big box hardware store. One 4 lb container will put you just above 30 CYA, which is good.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks, So by adding stabilizer this will help my PH and TA also? Should I keep it adding acid? I thought once PH was balanced you worked on other levels.
The stabilizer will have a small effect on pH. It acts as a sunscreen on the chlorine.

Your pH is 8 -- you should have it somewhere between 7.2 and 7.8 for eye comfort. I would suggest you target 7.2 since your high TA will tend to push it up.

pH and FC both will constantly be changing. You don't get to set it once and forget it. CYA will remain steady unless you lose a lot of water to rain overflow or splashout. CH tends to rise slowly. TA will tend to drop until you add more water.

attachment.php

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.