Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Lets talk about LED Lighting for AGPs.... pics welcome!!!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Lets talk about LED Lighting for AGPs.... pics welcome!!!!

The idea that I have is something similar to this:

http://www.amazon.com/XKTTSUEERCRR-W...FP64RMB0KHACE0

maybe not necessarily green, maybe purple, or even red. but I was thinking something other than blue or white, since we already enjoy a beautiful blue pool in the day.... maybe a different color at night.

With these waterproof strip lights with adhesive backing, im thinking about sticking them to the underside of the toprail all the way around the pool, facing down towards the water. On my pool, the toprails have decent size lips on the underside that would hide something like this beautifully.

thoughts? anyone tried this? what is the best color that you have saw or used?

lastly.... anyone have any pics of this???!!!

anyone.....?

anyone.....?

Bueller.....?
    Partially buried Doughboy Desert Spring 16 x 32, sport pool, with 7 ft deep middle, 20,000 gallons, Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1.5 HP 2 speed pump, 250 lb sandfilter, 2 Doughboy skimmers and 2 returns. 2 cascade fountains.
    Taylor K-2006 kit. Zodiac Barracuda Ranger suction side cleaner.
    TFPC method and is crystal clear every day thanks to TFP!!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Lets talk about LED Lighting for AGPs.... pics welcome!!!!

I don't have it but it would look sweet!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

Current: Singapore Previous: Clayton, Victoria, Australia

I'll address the technical side of things.
    1) the amount of adhesive is tricky to get right - too little and it may come unstuck due to people grabbing the top rail / water splashing (the lights are waterproof but that doesn't mean the adhesive is), too much and it may not want to be removed
    2) you will need a 12VDC supply
    3) it's not explicitly stated in the description that it comes with power supply wires pre-soldered to one end - meaning you will have to do this yourself

4. Back To Top    #4

I've thought about doing this exact mod on my AGP... Those reviews on Amazon aren't exactly raving. I like the idea, I'm just not sure how well it will or won't work. I'd love to hear some more opinions about it.

24 ft Round Above Ground - 13500 gallons... Former Pool Frog user. Sand filter . Located just South of Atlanta

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Abigail K View Post
    I'll address the technical side of things.
    1) the amount of adhesive is tricky to get right - too little and it may come unstuck due to people grabbing the top rail / water splashing (the lights are waterproof but that doesn't mean the adhesive is), too much and it may not want to be removed
    2) you will need a 12VDC supply
    3) it's not explicitly stated in the description that it comes with power supply wires pre-soldered to one end - meaning you will have to do this yourself
    as far as adhesive... rather than use what comes with it, I was thinking 3m double sided tape from autozone (the red backed stuff). its is waterproof, adheres to any smooth surface, is super strong, yet comes off easy leaving almost no residue. and at 3 bucks a roll, its cheap. it holds the side window louvers on my mustang at speeds up to 160mph..... holding lights on the underside of the toprails should be a day in the park for it.

yes, you have to purchase the 12v dc supply separate, they run 10 - 20 bucks or so depending on if you want dimmer control or not. also, each converter will only run so many lights, so depending on lengths, more than one converter may be required. thats not too big of a deal.

the wires crimp or solder on. again, not a huge issue either way.

the biggest concern I have with these amazon ones is: Will they be bright enough to give the effect I want? which is to essentially change the color of my pool....

I have found strip leds as much as 170 bucks per 16 ft... which would put doing my whole pool at about a grand.... and thats before buying converters and wiring....

i would almost guarantee they would do the job, but at that price, its a little too rich for my poor blood...

If I could do this for a couple hundred or so, Id be game.

anyone have any other lines on some bright, yet economically priced led strip lights?
    Partially buried Doughboy Desert Spring 16 x 32, sport pool, with 7 ft deep middle, 20,000 gallons, Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1.5 HP 2 speed pump, 250 lb sandfilter, 2 Doughboy skimmers and 2 returns. 2 cascade fountains.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    I don't have it but it would look sweet!
    Gals and their "BLING"!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp View Post
    Gals and their "BLING"!
    whats wrong? you dont think "mood lighting" in your pool would be cool?

8. Back To Top    #8

price is coming down a little bit.... about 600 bucks before power supplys.

I think the purple UV blacklight LEDs would look awesome!

http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...ht-strip/1466/