Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward cartridge filter question - getting too creative

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward cartridge filter question - getting too creative

I have purchased a house with a hayward c900 cartridge filter system. I am looking for bigger surface area for filtration. Can I replace the 900 lid with a 1200, extend the rod and put a bigger cartridge in? I have the hayward super II pump and all 2" plumbing to a 12K gallon in ground pool.

Thanks for a reply.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hayward cartridge filter question - getting too creative

Sounds like a plan, what's the cost for the parts to do the upgrade? What's wrong with the current setup? Are you looking to extend your filter clean times?
    Murrieta, CA. 15K (Est) pool/spa. Hayward Tristar SP3220EE 2.70HP pump, Hayward Swimclear Cartridge filter C4025 425sqft (PA106), Pentair Mastertemp 400 heater. TF-100/Speedstir

3. Back To Top    #3

I think you would also need to replace the filter body and some other parts. Here are the parts I think you would need and the prices from www.poolcenter.com

Filter Head w/ Directional Vent Valve $ 96.52
    Filter Body - (C1200) (Special Order) $331.79
    Star-Clear Plus C-1200 cartridge $ 58.15
    Tie Rod for Star Clear Plus C1200 $ 89.01
    26in Auto Air Relief Tube with Support $ 7.43
    Total $582.90

Seems to me like that is a lot of money for not much gain in area. I think you would be better off buying a whole new filter. Perhaps a Hayward C17502 (175 sq ft), which you could get for $334.99. Or a Pentair CC200 (200 sq ft), which you could get for $424.99. Even larger would be better, but also would cost more and take up more space.
    14k gal IG vinyl, Jandy Flopro 1 hp up-rated, 2 spd pump, Hayward 325 sq ft cartridge filter, Circupool Si-40 SWCG

4. Back To Top    #4

I debated going larger with my CC100, but fell back to the if it ain't broken, don't fix it! :~
    Murrieta, CA. 15K (Est) pool/spa. Hayward Tristar SP3220EE 2.70HP pump, Hayward Swimclear Cartridge filter C4025 425sqft (PA106), Pentair Mastertemp 400 heater. TF-100/Speedstir

5. Back To Top    #5

12k pool, I would recommend at least 175 sqft ... especially with the large pump you have. Why do you have such a large pump?
    Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Bobo's filter is tiny ... my recommendation would be 250+ sqft for the 17k pool, but they have a much smaller pump, so can get by with the smaller filter.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Bobo's filter is tiny ... my recommendation would be 250+ sqft for the 17k pool, but they have a much smaller pump, so can get by with the smaller filter.
    WOW! I can't believe you went there! LOL Yes, it's small, and I do have to clean it twice a month during heavy usage.

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for all the feedback. The fleeting thought was to just change out the lid for this season and not do a lot of plumbing. "It aint broke" so I will leave it alone. I'll work on the signature line specs as well. And why such a large pump? Previous owner set it up this way.

8. Back To Top    #8

I "repaired" my pump motor to a 2-speed to save money on electric cost. Still have the one I replaced it with just in case. The payback for a 2-speed motor was about a year, so it made sense. BTW welcome to the forums. Save your money on the filter, and get a good test kit, it will pay for itself.
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...its-comparison

Dave at http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html offers great products at very reasonable prices. I purchased a K2006 kit, but get my refills from him. I recommend getting TF-100 kit from him. http://tftestkits.net/TF-100-Test-Kit-p4.html

You can also get a discount. He's good people.