Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward cartridge filter question - getting too creative

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward cartridge filter question - getting too creative

I have purchased a house with a hayward c900 cartridge filter system. I am looking for bigger surface area for filtration. Can I replace the 900 lid with a 1200, extend the rod and put a bigger cartridge in? I have the hayward super II pump and all 2" plumbing to a 12K gallon in ground pool.

Thanks for a reply.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hayward cartridge filter question - getting too creative

Sounds like a plan, what's the cost for the parts to do the upgrade? What's wrong with the current setup? Are you looking to extend your filter clean times?
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

3. Back To Top    #3

I think you would also need to replace the filter body and some other parts. Here are the parts I think you would need and the prices from www.poolcenter.com

Filter Head w/ Directional Vent Valve $ 96.52
    Filter Body - (C1200) (Special Order) $331.79
    Star-Clear Plus C-1200 cartridge $ 58.15
    Tie Rod for Star Clear Plus C1200 $ 89.01
    26in Auto Air Relief Tube with Support $ 7.43
    Total $582.90

Seems to me like that is a lot of money for not much gain in area. I think you would be better off buying a whole new filter. Perhaps a Hayward C17502 (175 sq ft), which you could get for $334.99. Or a Pentair CC200 (200 sq ft), which you could get for $424.99. Even larger would be better, but also would cost more and take up more space.
    14k gal IG vinyl, Jandy Flopro 1 hp up-rated, 2 spd pump, Hayward 325 sq ft cartridge filter, Circupool Si-40 SWCG

4. Back To Top    #4

I debated going larger with my CC100, but fell back to the if it ain't broken, don't fix it! :~
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

5. Back To Top    #5

12k pool, I would recommend at least 175 sqft ... especially with the large pump you have. Why do you have such a large pump?
    Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Bobo's filter is tiny ... my recommendation would be 250+ sqft for the 17k pool, but they have a much smaller pump, so can get by with the smaller filter.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Bobo's filter is tiny ... my recommendation would be 250+ sqft for the 17k pool, but they have a much smaller pump, so can get by with the smaller filter.
    WOW! I can't believe you went there! LOL Yes, it's small, and I do have to clean it twice a month during heavy usage.

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for all the feedback. The fleeting thought was to just change out the lid for this season and not do a lot of plumbing. "It aint broke" so I will leave it alone. I'll work on the signature line specs as well. And why such a large pump? Previous owner set it up this way.

8. Back To Top    #8

I "repaired" my pump motor to a 2-speed to save money on electric cost. Still have the one I replaced it with just in case. The payback for a 2-speed motor was about a year, so it made sense. BTW welcome to the forums. Save your money on the filter, and get a good test kit, it will pay for itself.
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...its-comparison

Dave at http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html offers great products at very reasonable prices. I purchased a K2006 kit, but get my refills from him. I recommend getting TF-100 kit from him. http://tftestkits.net/TF-100-Test-Kit-p4.html

You can also get a discount. He's good people.