About to take the plunge...

Jun 15, 2014
Oak Island, North Carolina
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I stumbled upon this wonderful website quite by accident today while doing research on our new pool purchase. After enjoying an above ground, out-of-the-box, do-it-yourself pool purchased from a big box retailer last summer, we decided to take it a step further this year. We placed an order today from Amazon.com for the Intex Ultra Frame™ 18 ft x 52 in Pool Set w/ Sand Filter Pump. I will be calling around tomorrow for estimates for installing a concrete pad in our backyard. After a bit more research, I suspect we will add a Gorilla Floor Padding for 18 foot Round Above Ground Swimming Pools to our order. I will be scouring this site for information and advice as I progress throughout our installation. Any guidance, advice, or tips you may offer would be greatly appreciated. I look forward to continuing my pool education on troublefreepool.com. Thank you in advance!

Hi Lindsey-

We've had the the Intex Ultra (18' x 48") for two years and it has been great. We use the regular paper cartridge filter and the saltwater generator and have no problems keeping it clean. We did not opt for a concrete pad, but rather leveled the ground below and spent a good bit of time removing anything that looked like a rock. We did use the Gorilla Pad and it did a great job of protecting the pool floor, and added a small amount of cushion. I'd recommend it. Finally, we purchased the Aquabot Pool Rover Jr. automatic cleaner and it does a great job picking up anything that falls to the bottom.

Good luck and enjoy!

We've had the the Intex Ultra (18' x 48") for two years and it has been great.

Thank you (and Brushpup) for the warm welcome. Our pool is being delivered in a few days and we are in the process of collecting estimates for the concrete pad. Our backyard is anything but level, so I think that it is in our best interests to leave the prep work to the pros. It is an unfortunate added expense, but I feel we will be thankful that we went this route in a few weeks when we are enjoying our pool for the first time!

I understand - I had to hand level our pad and found out how much slope is really in a relatively flat piece of land... Let me know if you have questions as you begin to put up the pool - Intex really makes it quite easy... If you take it down over the winter - make certain you do not loose any of the rubber gaskets used on the hose connections - I said a number of not nice words this spring when I had to order over-priced replacement parts...

Let me know if you have questions as you begin to put up the pool - Intex really makes it quite easy... If you take it down over the winter - make certain you do not loose any of the rubber gaskets used on the hose connections - I said a number of not nice words this spring when I had to order over-priced replacement parts...

Thank you! We plan on leaving the pool up over the winter. I have had the “expletive moments” enough that I am VERY cautious when disassembling something like this. A box of sandwich bags and a Sharpie can be your best friend, especially months later when you are struggling to remember which doohickey goes where!