Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: cloudy water coming from jets

1. Back To Top    #1

cloudy water coming from jets

Hi everyone,

I am a new pool owner (new to the home, 7 year old pool)..I posted recently about balancing the water and you were all very helpful! Now, I have a question about our filter. Today, the pool jets started to pump out white, cloudy water and a cloudy film started to accumulate above the jets. Does anyone know why this is, or how to fix it? We have a Sta-Rite filter system (pictured below), and the psi is at around 10 right now -- I'm not sure if that is relevant or not.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    40 x 19 oval in-ground pool, average 4.8ft deep located in Monroe, CT
    chlorine feeder attached

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: cloudy water coming from jets

Is that a cartridge or a diatomaceous earth filter?

If it's DE, you probably have a torn grid and that white stuff is the DE blowing out. You'll need to open it up and see.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Is that a cartridge or a diatomaceous earth filter?

If it's DE, you probably have a torn grid and that white stuff is the DE blowing out. You'll need to open it up and see.

It's a cartridge system...
    chlorine feeder attached

4. Back To Top    #4

Here is a picture of what the water looked like with the filter running:

photo.jpg
    chlorine feeder attached

5. Back To Top    #5

Did you put any cal-hypo in your skimmer? Or DE perhaps?
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

6. Back To Top    #6

No.. in the past few days we switched from using a chlorine tablet feeder to pouring liquid chlorine directly into the pool. We haven't put anything else in the pool and that's the only change we have made. Should I turn the filter off? The whole pool is slowly being covered with a foamy film now.
    chlorine feeder attached

7. Back To Top    #7

You probably purchased some designer bleach -- splashless, high efficiency, scented, something.

The thickeners cause foam. It will go away when you use normal plain bleach.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Any chance you've washed the cartridge recently and if so what did you use for a cleaner ??
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

You probably purchased some designer bleach -- splashless, high efficiency, scented, something.

The thickeners cause foam. It will go away when you use normal plain bleach.

That's it then...I didn't realize some of the bleach I bought was high efficiency. I didn't clean the cartridge ever yet, so I think it must be the bleach. Is the extra suds harming my equipment or pool in any way? Will it fix itself if I just keep running the filter?

Thanks for your help!
    chlorine feeder attached

10. Back To Top    #10

I think it's just ruining the aesthetics of your pool.

The splashless stuff foams up a lot, too, but nobody has reported liners dissolving. The high-efficiency stuff is new, so you get to be the guinea pig for us. Don't you feel honored?

11. Back To Top    #11

I think it's just ruining the aesthetics of your pool.

The splashless stuff foams up a lot, too, but nobody has reported liners dissolving. The high-efficiency stuff is new, so you get to be the guinea pig for us. Don't you feel honored?
    oh great! I hope this stuff dissolves soon...fingers crossed!
    chlorine feeder attached