Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How Accurite is the PPM read out of Salt in a Salt Generator?

1. Back To Top    #1

How Accurite is the PPM read out of Salt in a Salt Generator?

I'm having problems with confidence in the readings from Leslies - one store really high, one low. I have some accucheck salt strips and they seem off too.

Sooo... since the PPm meter on the salt system sets the parameters of the system's operation, should I just pay attention to that?

Thanks in advance

My Specs.
    My SWG System on a 15,000 Gallon Pool:
    Circupool SI30 Plus Salt System
    Recommended:
    Salt 3000 - 4000 PPM 3500 is Ideal
    FC 1.0 - 3.0 PPM
    PH 7.2 - 7.8
    TA 100 - 200 PPM
    Calcium Hardness 200 - 300 PPM
    CYA 50 - 75
    Sat Index - 0.3 - + 0.3

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How Accurite is the PPM read out of Salt in a Salt Generator?

Welcome to TFP!

None of the salt tests are better than +-400, and some are worse. So the numbers can be fairly different even when the tests agree with each other.

Generally, when the SWG is new it is more reliable than the other sources. Plus, the SWG is what needs to be happy. If it likes the salt level, just ignore everything else.

When the SWG is older, having the SWG read lower then everything else is a sign that the cell either has calcium scaling or is wearing out.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Great advice. Thanks for a quick and reliable answer!

4. Back To Top    #4

Think of the SWG as your wife.

Now... do you want to be right, or do you want to be happy? If she says it's 3500 and you say it's 3300, keep her happy.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!