Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Salinity question

1. Back To Top    #1

Salinity question

Hi all. Had my aqua rite installed on Wednesday. Followed all instructions. Average salinity reads 4,200 and instant is 4,000. My % is set to 70. My FC yesterday was 1.0. My cya was 40. I know I have to get the cya up to 70. Should I turn down the % of salinity? Getting a little confusing
    Thanks
    36,000 gal IG vinyl. Haywood pump and heater Hayward DE filter blue diamond robot. Hayward Aqua Rite SWG AQR-15

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Salinity question

My Hayward SWG works when the pool salt percentage level is between 2700-3400 ppm. Anything above or below that and it will shut off to protect itself. I think the 70% percent you think is the salinity level control is really the setting for how long the SWG cell is on.

If you are in fact above the high limit (which is a good chance) for your type of chlorinator the only choice you have is to replace some of the water to bring it down. The only other thing I can think off is possibly you're getting a high salt reading because the salt was just dumped into your pool water all at once. If this was the case and the correct amount of salt was put in initially then it will come down in the next day or so. The pool calculator can help you with how much water you need to replace if in fact that is the case.
    28,000 gallon salt water pool
    DE Filter
    Inground plaster construction
    1-1/4 hp pump with 1hp booster pump

3. Back To Top    #3

The % setting is run time percent. The SWG cycles on and off and you have to tune that percentage along with the total time the SWG is running per day (pump run time) until the pool is maintaining your target FC. There is an article in pool school describing the tuning process. You should bring your CYA up, but do it in batches so you don't overshoot. Use PoolMath to determine how much to add to get to 60. After a week measure CYA again and adjust as necessary.
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

4. Back To Top    #4

If you did add too much salt this is probably an indication that you are overestimating your pool volume. If this is the case you should adjust your pool volume estimate down when calculating how much chemical to add (CYA for example) or you will keep overshooting.
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

5. Back To Top    #5

Well now I'm getting a 4000 average and a 3,600 instant My pool calculations are pretty much right on. Added the recommended salt even being more conservative. Are these readings ok? Ps my FC is 1.5
    36,000 gal IG vinyl. Haywood pump and heater Hayward DE filter blue diamond robot. Hayward Aqua Rite SWG AQR-15

6. Back To Top    #6

As long as the SWG is not complaining, they are fine.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Ok. Thanks much. I guess I'm starting to get a little OCD with all if these tests and numbers

8. Back To Top    #8

FC is low, even for 40 CYA. Did you bring cya up yet? If so FC is very low.

9. Back To Top    #9

Yes, brought cya up to about 70

10. Back To Top    #10

Good point, now you should never be letting the FC get below 3ppm ... so try to set the SWG output to get you around 5ppm.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

11. Back To Top    #11

Yes, I also raised the salinity output from 70% to almost 80%

12. Back To Top    #12

It is not a salinity output. The % is the amount of time that the SWG is generating FC.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

13. Back To Top    #13

I know. That's what I meant. % not output. Thanks