Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Shock

1. Back To Top    #1

Shock

Even though my pool is not totally cleaned out and is still a little dirty should I shock it and balance the chemicals?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Shock

We don't shock pools, we follow the SLAM process and only do that if required. Post up a full set of test results.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Chlorine is .5 to 1
    PH is 7.2
    Alkalinity 30
    Hardness is 50
    Cyanuric is over 30 if I did it correctly

4. Back To Top    #4

Since you say the pool is dirty and your FC is low, I would raise it up to SLAM level for at least a day and do the OCLT to see if something is living in the pool.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

What I mean by dirty is that there is small particles of "dirt" floating around the pool that I am having a hard time vacuuming up.

6. Back To Top    #6

During the winter the heavy ice that sat on the pool raised the water up and when I took the cover off of the pool the water level was very low so I filled the pool back up with water and now have to balance the chemicals.

7. Back To Top    #7

Doing the OCLT will tell you if you need to do a full SLAM process.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by mkdsk101 View Post
    Chlorine is .5 to 1
    PH is 7.2
    Alkalinity 30
    Hardness is 50
    Cyanuric is over 30 if I did it correctly
    Definitely get the chlorine level up ASAP!

If it's just suspended dirt particles in the water, wait for the filter to catch up. But don't let the pool go green by letting FC dip too low while you wait!

If the pool is cloudy or greenish, then you need to perform the Shock Level And Maintain process - the SLAM. In your particular case, that means raising FC up to 12 and rechecking it and adding more to keep it at 12FC every couple hours.

It probably wouldn't hurt anything to actually start the SLAM; If you don't actually need it, it'll pass the three tests after one day; If you do, you'll have a day's head start.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

Just curious, which test are you using to measure your chlorine? The OTO test (yellow color matching), DPD (pink color matching), or FAS-DPD (powder and drop test)?
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

10. Back To Top    #10

The OTO test.

11. Back To Top    #11

That is not going to work to SLAM or do the OCLT. You need the FAS-DPD test included in the recommended test kits.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

Since you already have most of the tests that are included in the TF-100, you can get the FAS-DPD test here. The OTO test only measures total chlorine and only up to 5 ppm without much accuracy. You need a test that can measure FC and CC, and the FAS-DPD does that very accurately up to 50 ppm.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits