Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: TF-100 missing blue scoop

1. Back To Top    #1

TF-100 missing blue scoop

Hi,
    I took the cover off my pool yesterday and was hoping to test the water with TF-100 test kit so that I can start shocking the pool. However my kit is missing the little blue scoop for R-0870 powder. I contacted TFTestkits, but in the meantime is there any other way I can measure the powder so that I can perform the tests to avoid further delays?

Thanks,
    Andrew

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: TF-100 missing blue scoop

Just find something you can use in the meantime to get out a scoop about the size of a wooden match tip. Perhaps a touch more, and it will be plenty close enough.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

There is no real measuring required. You can not use too much powder, but too little can cause issues. Using the tip of a popsicle stick is likely more than enough.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

I thought mine was missing too, and used a tiny little measuring spoon I had for a while. Then once, I was cleaning the inside of the plastic box and it fell out.
    New at pools. 23k Gallon pool - 36x17 ft grecian, vinyl. Pentair TA60 sand filter with new valve. Hayward superpump. Booster pump for Polaris 280C.

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome!

It doesn't take very much - the tip of a popsicle stick or a wooden coffee stirrer will work as a scoop. After you mix it in, if there's one or two undissolved granules in the cylinder, you have enough powder.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you for the advice, I ended up using the end of a pen cap

One other question if I may. I test the water in the house and grab a sample of pool water (from 18" underwater) in one of these bottles:
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-...ottle/14964974
    That should be fine to do right?

Thanks.

7. Back To Top    #7

Sure. That ought to work great. Rinse it a couple times in the pool, then push it under upside down and when you right it under water, it will fill up with water from that depth.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Sure. That ought to work great. Rinse it a couple times in the pool, then push it under upside down and when you right it under water, it will fill up with water from that depth.
    I like to keep my arms dry so I use a 4' section of 1/2" ID PVC for sampling. Also lets me easily sample from about 3' deep in the deep end.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons