Leak and robot cleaner problem with pressure

Jun 14, 2011
New Jersey
trtq.jpg

Last night after I dived down to open my attached spa drains I ran to take a shower only to find out my well pump has died :/ Had people last night and all morning working on getting a new one put in..... don't even want to think about the cost of that. I just turned on my pool equipment and noticed my heater is leaking water. I took the cover off and noticed the company who closed the pool must have disconnected something and there is a little metal pipe that is shooting water. I have not had this disconnected by anyone in the past so not sure what I need to do. I took pictures of the three things I see lose that might need connecting, can someone help? I see the metal pipe, some kind of a plastic cylinder laying on bottom and a wire (possible electrical)?

Re: Leak in the Heater opening the Pool

That's your heater's pressure switch. Needs to be screwed back on the pipe. Should be 2 wires connected to the switch. looks like one of them pulled out of the red spade connector. will need to be reattached properly.

Edit: Just noticed your holding second wire and looks like the switch terminal broke off. Need new switch. So long as you don't need to heat your pool right away, you can probably screw the switch to the pipe and run your circulation system for now.

That's your heater's pressure switch. Needs to be screwed back on the pipe. Should be 2 wires connected to the switch. looks like one of them pulled out of the red spade connector. will need to be reattached properly.

Edit: Just noticed your holding second wire and looks like the switch terminal broke off. Need new switch. So long as you don't need to heat your pool right away, you can probably screw the switch to the pipe and run your circulation system for now.

I do not see where it could break off of? doesn't really look like it broke off either, just like it was disconnected from somewhere.... but I have no idea where, should that be connected to the switch? its a wire that runs with other wires and is connected somewhere on the other end, so I don't think it broke off anything. just needs to be attached at other end.
As to the heat I do not use the heater at all, previous owners had it installed but my water gets warm enough with the solar cover.

The pink colored things are the quick connect electrical terminals. The one your holding between your pointer finger and your middle finger broke off the switch. It still has the broken off mating part from the switch stuck in it. The other pink terminal which is still on the switch, should have a wire sticking out it's end. It looks like what ever wire went to it was pulled out. It doesn't really matter at this point since your not going to use the heater. Just screw the switch into the pipe and you're done.

The pink colored things are the quick connect electrical terminals. The one your holding between your pointer finger and your middle finger broke off the switch. It still has the broken off mating part from the switch stuck in it. The other pink terminal which is still on the switch, should have a wire sticking out it's end. It looks like what ever wire went to it was pulled out. It doesn't really matter at this point since your not going to use the heater. Just screw the switch into the pipe and you're done.

Yes you were right, I found the cable that broke off. I connected the switch and no leak so I am ok for now. However I got another problem I hope someone can help me with but I will write a separate post under here explaining.

- - - Updated - - -

So I turned on my robot cleaner and it looks like there is too much pressure going to it? First the hose going back from motor to the return pvc pipe came off and water started shooting out. I put it back on but its not on very tight and I see little leaks shooting out still from it. Also a ton of water shooting from the pressure relief valve in the pool where the cleaner is connected, a lot of water coming out. Any ideas why I am getting so much pressure ? it seems like I always before had a problem with too little pressure and now this.

Don't think this is a pump or excessive pressure problem. Likely the hose needs to be clamped better and possibly the pressure relief valve is stuck open. Have you cleaned the pressure relief valve screen and checked if the valve has got any grit in it that would cause it to get stuck open?

Maybe I have the wrong think in mind. What is shooting the water out is that white valve with a black button on one side coming out of it, it is right by the pool wall attached to the threaded piece. The screen you are talking about I think is a bit further down the line, its a clear tube with metal mesh looking thing in it correct? that looks clean. The robot is still moving fairly well but there are leaks by the pump and I afraid to leave it on because if the tube comes off again it will drain my pool :/

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I don't own a polaris but from a manual online it appears there's a screen build into the pressure relief assembly. Here's the manual. Look at page 9, section F. Maybe they're all not that way.

Yeah I don't see anything like that in mine, there is however something further down the line, it has a clear see through cylinder and inside is a metal mesh bracket that looks something like the one in that picture.

Sounds like all the more reason to check that pressure relief valve. It's job is to bleed off excess pressure. If it's stuck because grit or other contaminants jammed it, the pressure will be higher than the Polaris requires. Pressure Relief Valves usually have a piston and spring arrangement where, the water force drives the piston against a spring, the more it moves the more it uncovers a drain port which bleeds off excess pressure. You can usually stick a blunt tool in there and depress the piston and see if it moves smoothly. I'm not familiar with your specific valve. Hopefully it's that style. If it feels gritty when you move it, or doesn't return on it's own by the force of the spring, then it's not working properly. If it is that way, it makes sense why they would have designed a filter to go in front of the valve, not after it. Maybe that was an improvement for later models.

By the way, the hose that's popping off should be clamped better. That shouldn't pop off, even with some excess pressure.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.