Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can they swim today?

1. Back To Top    #1

Can they swim today?

Let my pool run down to about 1ppm on the chlorine while out of town. Came home, with the pump off it was clear, maybe a tiny bit cloudy. Started running the Dolphin and the pump came on, now it's cloudy in the deep end. PH is 8.0, alk is 110, CYA is 40. Can the kids swim without risk of health problems?

I've since put 2 gallons of bleach in it to get the FC up to about 8 roughly
    Last edited by cnshough; 06-15-2014 at 09:12 AM. Reason: Added info

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can they swim today?

No one should be allowed to swim if the pool is cloudy for basic safety reasons. If you can't see the entire bottom wait until you can. Hopefully it won't take long to clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

As long as you can clearly see the bottom and the FC level is normal swimming should be fine. As poobears said if you can't see the bottom you certainly should not swim.

Also, you should lower the PH down to around 7.5.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Can easily see the drain and rest of the floor in the deep end, it's just cloudy. Know I need to lower pH, but I'm out of acid right now

5. Back To Top    #5

If you can easily see the drain and bottom then swimming will be fine since you got the chlorine to a safe level now. Tell the kids to jump in!