Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Auto-Filler Question: How long should it run for? Mine seems to be going almost 24/7

1. Back To Top    #1

Auto-Filler Question: How long should it run for? Mine seems to be going almost 24/7

New owner here, tried searching for info, but couldn't find what I was looking for. I have an auto-filler and the pool is staying at levels. I am in Tucson, so it's very hot and dry right now, so I expect evap, but even in late night or early morning, the auto-filler sprays just a tiny bit of water about every other second, like the waves of the pool make it bounce ever so slightly. I know it's just a little bit, of water, but am thinking this could add up. Shouldn't it be like the toilet and just float up and lock up until considerable drop occurs?

Also, how much is normal evap for summer days?

Thanks!
    IG,Pebble
    Cartridge
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS-3050, 3HP
    Pool Pic

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Auto-Filler Question: How long should it run for? Mine seems to be going almost

In hot dry climates that behavior is normal. There are almost always some small waves in the pool, which will tend to turn the auto fill on/off like that.

You can easily lose 1/8" of water, roughly a hundred gallons, a day in a hot dry climate. At the peak of the summer it could be noticeably more.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Auto-Filler Question: How long should it run for? Mine seems to be going almost

Okay, thanks.
    IG,Pebble
    Cartridge
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS-3050, 3HP
    Pool Pic

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

try a low tech approach. Turn the auto filler off. You shouldn't be loosing much more than a 1/4 inch per day
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy/Zodiac, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.