Jun 15, 2014
Perkiomenville, PA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello All,
Within a few weeks I should have a small pool to enjoy and take care of. I have a jug of bleach, a bag of baking soda and a box of 20 Mule Team borax (None of which was bought for the pool, it's just my normal household stock). I ordered a 64oz bottle of granular cyanuric acid from Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000LNY2AU/ref=pe_385040_30332190_TE_dp_1) and a Taylor K-2006 test kit.

Yesterday I used the test kit on my tap water which runs through a softener (I'll be filling the pool with a garden hose and plan on keeping the softener inline). Because I assume it would be zero, I didn't test for CYA, but the rest of my results are:

FC .4
CC .4
pH 7.3
CH 0
TA 150

Should I initially add bleach based on a CYA of zero or what it will soon be?
What CYA level should I target and what is the best way to get it in the water?
When should I do something for pH or TA?
My pool company is planning on installing a chemical thing called a "Frog Leap" on the pump output hose; should I ask them not to?

And also any tips on having a small AG pool in the woods under large trees would be very welcomed.

Welcome! :wave:

The first dose of chlorine can be based on zero CYA. After the CYA sock has been set in the pool, and begun dissolving, assume your calculated value is there and dose accordingly.
Target 30-40 for the CYA. Some convenient measure. You can raise it later if you think the chlorine is getting too much sun; lowering high CYA means draining, so work up to it.
As soon as the pump is on and it's been circulating half an hour, retest pH and TA, and adjust pH if it's outside the 7.2-7.8 range.
The frog leap is some variant of the pool frog mineral sanitizer. You don't want that. Here's one article that explains things. If you search "pool frog" up above, you'll learn plenty more. Why run the water through a softener to remove minerals and then add things back?

Thanks you so much Richard!

You must get so tired of answering the same questions over and over. I understand everything you said perfectly clear except for the following:

Why run the water through a softener to remove minerals and then add things back?

I'm connected to a small municipal water company that uses wells. It's very hard water and that's why I use a softener. Are you saying that the hardness is desirable for the pool water?

Thanks you so much Richard!

You must get so tired of answering the same questions over and over. I understand everything you said perfectly clear except for the following:

I'm connected to a small municipal water company that uses wells. It's very hard water and that's why I use a softener. Are you saying that the hardness is desirable for the pool water?
No... I'm saying why go to the trouble and expense to remove Calcium and Iron and whatever else with a softener and then add minerals back in? Check out the leap frog MSDS. 98% Calcium Carbonate!! The 1% silver will eventually build up and stain the liner.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.