Green pool kicking my butt - Algea/Pollen?

Jun 7, 2012
Indianapolis, IN
Hello all this is my third year having my pool and I have never had this issue. Opened my pool this year and just last week had it in good shape. After shocking and killing all the algae pool was cloudy but clear in the shallow end. Well, I had an issue with my pump and i had it off for maybe 2 days. Pool started to turn green so I thought I was getting algae. I was able to get my pump up and running had no chlorine. I adjust my Ph to 7.3 and brought my pool up to shock level. It remained there until morning and no rise in my pressure. I thought was odd but decided to let it come down and try it again, same thing. I also did a deep cleanse on my filter I had this and I was pulling clumps of this cotton like stuff that his been falling like crazy. I thought that may have been preventing my filter from filtering correctly. For the last three night I have passed the OCLT with .5CC so I am thinking this isn't algae.

I can brush the stuff around it just sits on the bottom of my pool. Yesterday I vacuumed to waste, stuck a nylon on my skimmer basket. I have read on the forums of people having similar things and was able to make a difference by using skimmer socls and DE in their sand filters. I plan on getting some skimmer socks and some DE. Do you guys have any other suggestions?

I have crystal clear water but was getting dirt on the bottom of my pool that would come back within an hour of vacuuming. My numbers were all good and had no CC's. We put skimmer socks on both of our skimmers and even put skimmer socks on our returns. Dirt would stay away. As soon as we took the skimmer socks off the returns, the pool was dirty in 20 mins. So yesterday we decided to vacuum with the skimmer sock on the end of the hose, then plugged the hose into our manual vacuumed brush so none of the stuff we vacuumed up went into our sand filter. It was all pollen and tiny seeds that fall off the cotton. We have cotton also and at times it looks like it is snowing. We came to the conclusion that our filter is broke because we did not get the dirt back into our pool after vacuuming like that.

I do not believe it is my filter. It was doing a fine job before this. Only reason I had to turn it off is because the bolt on my band that holds my pump to the suction side was stripped and I had to get a new one. It does not feel slimy at all, it's more grit/dusty when I rub my fingers over it and my walls are not slimy at all. We have had a lot of cottonwood pollen falling like mad the last few days and I am not sure what other kinds.

Anyone have any other ideas? I am not sure what to do right now. I just bought some DE and will add it to my sand filter. Whatever it is I will vacuum it all to waste and the next day the entire floor and steps will be covered. Think I could try a floc treatment? Im wondering if it is all just floating around and when I vac to waste it gets up whats on the floor but then more just settles.

epxroot
I was having a problem where green stuff would build up on the floor of my pool
I thought it was pollen but turned out to be alge
I would vac to waste and it would return the next day
My FC was around 5ppm so I thought it's just pollen
I was wrong and have since slamming process and the pool is looking really good again
I going to keep slamming until my next day off(maybe Sunday?) and then do an OCLT

Are you slamming for MA or regular green algae? I have been slamming for a couple days now but the water remains the same. I put a skimmer sock on my return last night and today there is this green/brownish coating on the outside that I can peek off, almost like cotton.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yeah
I could peel it off of the skimmer sock and now it's getting less and less
I'm shocking for algae and it's really clearing up
Just stick with the process and it'll start clearing
Last year I was a newbie at pool ownership and this site helped me a lot after I had a green pool

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.