Calcium hardness test - does the sample ever turn blue?

Bart

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 24, 2010
Northern Virginia
According to the instructions, when doing a CH test the water is supposed turn from red/pink to blue. But when I do mine, the water turns clear, and no matter how many additional drops I add (20, 30, 50) the sample doesn't seem to change color at all. It just remains clear. Sometimes I convince myself that there's a faint tint of blue, but I'm never quite sure.

Should I be expecting an actual blue color or just the absence of red?

Thanks!

Yes, you should be seeing reddish/pink to blue.

There is something amiss here. If this is interference, I've never seen that result in a CH test, and I've run many.

Are you absolutely sure you are adding all the correct reagents? I know its a dumb question, but the basics have to be covered first.

How pink/reddish does it turn when you add the color indicator?

Make sure you are adding all the right stuff, and when you add the R0011L ad 3-4 extra drops and see what it does.

If the sample starts red/pink/orange and then turns clear after several drops, the point when it turns clear is the correct place to stop. If it stays clear right from the start then something is wrong.

Thanks folks!

The sample stars off red/pink but after 40,50,60 drops it turns clear.

I've just started harvesting rainwater and it's down to about 450 when it turns clea

I'll re-run the test with extra drops of R0011L and see what happens

Try testing your tap water or some bottled water to see what that shows. Also, try adding 5 drops of r-0012 first and swirling for 10 seconds before doing the test as normal.

Do you have any reason to believe that the water contains copper?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.