SWG for large intex pool

Apr 26, 2013
NC
Hi everyone! We have a new pool and just about ready to add a SWG. In fact, I had one in my arms, in line to check out when I read on the box "for pools up to 15,000 gallons". Our pool is around the 17,000 gallon range. I put it back and decided to do some more research. I haven't found much for large intex type pools though (could be because I'm being too specific in my search.). Anyhoo...I thought maybe someone here would be willing to give me suggestions on either other brands that would work with my pool size and brand, or let me know if the one I had in my hands will work? I saw some threads on using 2 SWGs, but I'm not sure I want to go that route yet.

Thanks in advance!

Hi there, I just thought I would give you a heads up on SWG systems on Intex pools.... Salt is really corrosive, and because Intex pools have steel frames, they have a tendency to rust faster than say a pool using bleach....The liners have holes as you would know, so they're not really like a normal Above ground pool where the liner can overlap and protect the steel in a pool......

There are a few threads on this site, showing pics of intex frames prematurely rusting due to SWG's... This isn't meant to deter you, just let you know that it does happen.

Have you considered something like the HASA liquidator, or even a Stenner Peristaltic pump to help automate your system a little bit??? Both use liquid chlorine, and are both awesome products to chlorinate your pool... :)

Heather, the 26' intex is 14667 gallons. If you add a thru the wall skimmer, the water level will be lower and so will the # of gallons. The intex SWG is good for the size of your pool. I loved my SWG and have very minimal rusting on the edges of some of the top rails.

Thanks, Angie....that is good to know. We're still thinking about the best way to go with our pump/filtration system. Funny how a "small....we'll-just-put-up-a-pool" project can become all-consuming! :D. (In a good way!)

Heather, the link below is to my build thread. You mentioned how such a small planned project grows out of control.

I started with a 16' blue blob pool. Loved it. Wasn't level. Collapsed on one side. Really surprised the neighbor! That was in 2011. In 2012 I decided to upgrade. I looked at the 18', not big enough. I wanted to swim a lap or 2. Then I checked out the 22' and the 24'. Well for just a little more, I could get the 26'! My husband was SO surprised!:D

I never hooked up the intex pump/filter that came with it. I ordered a Sandpro filter/pump combo and the intex SWG. Both took a dive last year. So I upgraded all my equipment, hard plumbed, built a deck and put up privacy fence around the back yard.

My small, fairly inexpensive project has just blown me out of the water! Of course I had to have furniture for the deck. A pool boy (Diver Dave vacuum), I've lost track of what my little $1000 intex pool has actually cost money wise. But, it has paid me back big time because even the work to maintain and improve the pool is like a vacation to me (some days it's more like therapy). All the upgrading is good exercise for the brain too.

Oh, if you get the intex SWG, unplug the copper bars. I completely removed them from mine and used S/S screws and nuts turned upside down (so only the screw heads were inside the SWG) to plug the two little holes. The copper bars will put copper into your water and they say that is what turns blond hair green. I've gone naturally blondish in recent years and didn't want my white hair turning green.

Sorry to be so long winded but, I had to laugh when you talked about the project becoming all consuming.
You brought back some good memories of my build. Thank you.:wave:

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/44406-The-process-of-installing-our-Intex-26-x52-quot-pool

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.