Daily Muriatic Acid

May 31, 2014
Pittsboro, NC
New pool owners (stats below). I've read pool school and have been using Taylor k-2006 kit for a couple weeks. I resolved my CYA issue and was hoping the FC and pH would balance out too, but I'm still putting about 70 oz of bleach and 15 oz of Muriatic Acid every couple of days. My husband says we should keep the pump running all the time even though I have read here that four hours is plenty. He also likes the sound of running water, but I convinced him to keep the jet under the water. Am I right that this is causing our pH to stay high? I don't like dealing with the Muriatic Acid and would like to get our pH stabilized. Could the high pH be from the initial fill from our well water?
Thanks!

Today's results (typical)
FC 1
pH 8
TA 180
CYA 30

Have you tested your well water?

I see your TA is a bit high. That will come down over time if you keep adding acid to bring your pH down to 7.2, and let it climb back to 7.6 - 7.8.

Other than that, you may need to SLAM your pool, since your typical FC is a bit low for your CYA. You could have something growing in your water, which would explain the high LC usage.

Pool School.

It's been years since we tested the well water. My husband says we have to tell them what we want tested.

Two days after we filled the pool, it was green. I went to the pool store and got a shock treatment and started looking for answers and thankfully found your site. It was cal hypo. I shouldn't SLAM after that right? The water is clear and looks good.

How much longer will I need to add Muriatic before I'm down in range? Anything else that can be keeping the pH high?

Thanks

Welcome to the forum! :wave:

Yes, agitation of the water surface causes aeration and increases the speed of pH rise. Not a big deal but it does. I'm not sure about four hours, every pool is different and yours may well need more. It doesn't need 24/7 run time, but likely more than four. Start trimming that down and you will find out.

You need to control the pH with testing and acid addition, so keep after it. Not critical in a vinyl pool, but you want it 7.8 or below. Anywhere from 7.2 up to there is good.

Test the TA of your fill water. I have been having the same issue this year because I lost a lot of water over the winter and my well water TA is 650. Nothing you can do but keep adding acid until it stabilizes. Also get your FC up, it shouldn't ever drop below 2.

Charlie - thanks - I don't know why I didn't think of that. I just tested the well water and our pH (8) and Total Alkalinity (240 or higher?) are high so it makes sense that I'm having a hard time getting it to stabilize. Makes sense that the CYA was 0 too. I'd only been buying a gallon of acid at a time, but I guess I'll go ahead and get a supply.

Are you using this sites "Pool Math" calculator to figure out how much acid to use to get from A to B ?? http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

You might only want to get two gallons of acid at a time. Depending on how far you have to drive to get it. Nice not to have too much sitting around the house once your pool pH stabilizes.

Your first post has a CYA of 30 which is a little low but the post above says it's "0", I'm confused :confused::confused:

sorry for the confusion - the last test results were for the well water as Charlie suggested. Glad I have the CYA resolved; now I'm just dealing with pH and Chlorine. We are definitely not close to stores with acid.

I had been trying not to add more than once a day - should I go ahead and keep adding throughout the day?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.