New DIY Pool in Phoenix

Plumbing is in.
20140617_084008_zps20282c3c.jpg

20140617_084224_zps9dd52d6f.jpg

20140617_084154_zpsbff3a8c5.jpg

SWEET! You are well on your way. That is great that you passed the pressure test.

Yeah for the labels. I would think about using this pic. to print out and write the labels on the paper for the future.

This a fun to watch!

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What kind of cost savings are you gaining by doing it yourself (sub)

Are you using the subs that actually work for PBs in the area?

I built my house this way, it turned out great and saved a substantial amount of money, never thought about it for the pool build

Thanks for the idea.

I figure that we are saving about 30 to 40k doing this by hiring the subs ourself. All the subs are the same ones used by the PBs here in Phoenix. For example, the plumber does 100% of California Pools and 50% of Presidential Pools here in Phoenix. Our mason does most of Presidential Pools. We have been very lucky in the subs we used so far as they have been very helpful and knowledgeable. Some of the subs I used are from Gumby who also went the DIY route here in Phoenix or recommended by our pool designer. Most important though, check your subs with your state's board of contractor, not the BBB, for any complaints.

Can't help but mention that if any one builts a pool here in Phoenix, ask your PB to use Bill Duncan for plumbing. He was been doing this for over 30 years and I would not have noticed a few things without his expertise. For example, he put in an aerator to run at night to keep the pool cooler in the desert. Designer had called for the main drain to be connected to the skimmer but Bill plumbed it seperately.
Also a shout out to Jon at Titan Gas, he went above and beyond for us at a cheaper price than the bigger gas companies.
Can't help you with the subs since you are in El Paso, but I talked to people in the business. I used most of the subs recommended by our pool designer but I got the gas guy from the electric guy, the mason guy from the rock slide guy. They all know each other and know who does a good job.

We had electrical in on Monday and passed pre-gunite inspection yesterday. Yippee!!
Gunite crew came this morning. Five truck loads of gunite!
20140702_075848_zpsb5620a5c.jpg

Wife's first step in the pool.
20140702_144636_zpsd7638cae.jpg

20140702_144714_zps216ea60d.jpg

Now I have to water the pool every hour while the sun is out today :((

Looks beautiful, vudoo! Just wanted to say thanks again for the email. It's great reading this thread and seeing a DIY have so much success. I think this will be enough to push me towards the DIY route afterall! I love the idea of being able to make a bigger and more beautiful pool with the features we want from the cost savings doing it this way. You have inspired me! Many thanks, and I'll keep following your build religiously.

Edit: Funny enough I just got an quote email from a PB that is asking an arm and leg for a simple freeform :( DIY Goooooo!

Thing that I also like with DIY, you can change on the fly and not have the PB charge you extra, like when the excavators are out here, we decided to change the shallow end from 3 to 3 1/2 feet. No problem, guy dug it 3.5', no charge. Wanted to add umbrella sleeve to baja step and niches in the wall for a volley net, no problem.

Niche for umbrella sleeve:
20140702_172847_zpse30be57e.jpg

Niche for volleyball net:
20140702_172904_zpsc60d32e7.jpg

where do you find a new-ish build in phoenix with a yard that big?

That's a good question. My new house (under construction) in Peoria has a yard the size of a toothpick in comparison (just big enough for a pool though!). Could be one of those custom homes with big lots. You can buy .7 to 1.08 acres of land in Vistancia out north and custom build a home there.

We have also finally picked out a thin stone veneer for the side of the spa and columns. Its called Old Villa from Arizona Stone. They have lovely and extensive selection of veneers and stacked stones in their showrooms in Peoria and Mesa. Pictured with the waterline tile we are going with.

20140701_082910_zpsf6aa53fb.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.