New pool, new pool owner, now what?

Jun 10, 2014
Heiskell, TN
Hello, been reading as much as I can here, been reading Pool School. They put the pool up today, it's filling as I type, they'll be back tomorrow or Monday to get the pump going. I felt pretty good about being able to keep up a pool until I started reading and now I'm nervous as heck! I'm to take a water sample to the pool place where I purchased for pool school, I'm hoping they will teach me, but I'm still nervous.

Do I need to go ahead and buy the TF-100 test kit? Do I need to buy bleach at the store? What else do I need?

Thank you all in advance!

AG, 15,000 gallon. Sand filter
Installed today 6/14/14

Welcome to TFP!

I would certainly order one of the recommended test kits, TF-100 is the best value. They may give you a kit, but it will be lacking.

You certainly should put 2ppm of FC in the pool as soon as it is filled and maintain that. You also need to get 30-50ppm of stabilizer in the water.

This is not as hard as it appears, so relax. Just realize that they most likely do not recommend the maintenance methods that we recommend. So take anything they "teach" you about chemistry with a grain of salt.

Welcome. You are going to have to go through our Pool School if you want to do TFPC.

ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool
Chlorine CYA Chart
Test Kit Comparison
Recommended Levels
PoolMath

These links will get you started and as previously stated, our way and the Pool Store way is different. You should choose one or the other and not both. If you chose the Pool Store way and you ask questions here, you will more than likely end up wanting to rip your hair out and become frustrated. But please note, going the TFPC route will yield you these fabulous results... The choice, is yours of course! :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.