Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to test high FC levels?

1. Back To Top    #1

How to test high FC levels?

I am getting ready to do my first SLAM but my test kit only measures up to 5 on FC. I'm going to need to get around 24 for shock value, so can I use my kit to read that high? For example can I fill the sample halfway and just double my reading, a third and triple, etc.? Or does it not work like that and I need to get a better kit?

Thanks in advance.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: How to test high FC levels?

Welcome to TFP!

It is possible to get some very rough approximations with that kit, +-5 at best, but it much easier and more efficient if you get a FAS-DPD chlorine test, which can measure up to 50 in steps of 0.5.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    SW PA

You need a TF100 or a K2006 test kit which can read FC levels up to 50ppm.

You can look at them here Test Kit Comparison

We recommend the TF100 because it's a better value for the money.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

4. Back To Top    #4
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

What test kit are you using?

If you have the popular K-2005 tester, you can just add the FAS-DPD test and have everything you need.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!