Thread: TA too low

1. Back To Top    #1

TA too low

pH 7.2
    TA 50
    CH 775
    CYA 60
    TC 6

In SoCal, calcium hardness is my troublespot. 775 is after emptying half the pool during spring (and now it's too hot out here to bother again until fall...), so I try to keep my pH at 7.2 to keep my hardness from going up. In the process, my TA has started going down consistently and not rising at all.

Any suggestions? What is the lowest I can keep my TA?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    13,000 gallon plaster salt water pool. Jandy DEV60 filter, Jandy AquaPure SWG (APURE1400)

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: TA too low

In most cases you don't want TA below about 60.

Acid additions, to keep the PH under control, are what is lowering TA. Acid always lowers both PH and TA.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Yeah, exactly- so I was just wondering if there was a better way to avoid my TA going so low (add less acid more times per day?).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    13,000 gallon plaster salt water pool. Jandy DEV60 filter, Jandy AquaPure SWG (APURE1400)

4. Back To Top    #4

I don't usually recommend using the CSI for most people because it is usually not necessary and creates unnecessary complication. However, with your situation, I would recommend using the CSI to make sure that your water is not oversaturated or undersaturated. As long as the CSI is about -0.3 to about +0.3, you should be fine.

5. Back To Top    #5
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

My TA sits around 60-70 and my CH is about the same. Do you use a speedstir to run the CH test? When I went from manual swirling to the speedstir, my CH results dropped a couple hundred ppm. It can mix the water way better than you can and its wrist doesn't get tired.

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!