What is a scum bag?

bUg or bAg?

A ScumBug is a foam thing that you put in the skimmer that soaks up excess oil (think suntan lotion) floating on the surface. Most people don't need one, but if sun tan lotion/oil is popular with your family/friends it can be handy.

We need to clarify a bit. Are you looking for a scum ball, that goes in the skimmer and collects oils from lotions and sunscreen, or a slime bag that you can attach to a return or use in a robotic cleaner that filter out very fine debris?

If you mean Scum Bug, it's similar to a Scum-Ball and is just a porous material that absorbs water insoluble chemicals such as oils, lotions, and foam. It is similar to the material used in cartridge filters except it's folded in on itself to have a very high surface area in a compact space. It works by floating on the water, usually in the skimmer, and any oils floating on the water attach to it. It's most useful when you don't have a high enough flow rate to pull such oils from the skimmer towards the filter (i.e. it just floats on the water in the skimmer if the flow rate is not high enough to create a funnel effect).

When the wind is light or my waterfall is off I don't feel that I get strong pull to the skimmers so I can see pollen or light dust on top of the water. We do use sunscreen too. Near the end of my season last year I was seeing more of an oily looking "scum" on top of the water too.

Just curious as to the products out there. Saw some posts on scumbAgs and saw a scumbUg on Amazon but wasn't sure if they were the same thing or were used for the same purpose.

Any advice or thoughts on good products?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I used them (ScumBug) last year and they do help. You want to shop price on them as they can vary by quite a bit. That and make sure you know if you're getting a single or two pack for the $$.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.