Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hi Great Site!!!!!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Hi Great Site!!!!!!

Hi my name is Mike and I am a new pool owner so new in fact I am waiting on them to install it lol. And I just wanted to pop in and say this site is great it makes pool ownership almost idiot proof. I had no idea about anything to do with chemical balance, and after spending a couple of hours reading I atleast feel comfortable with where to start. So thanks for the great site.
    17,500 gallon 27' ag. Ecco 19" sand filter 1-1/2 hp pump 45gpm. Zodiac aquapure ei swg.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hi Great Site!!!!!!

Welcome to TFP!!! and congrats on getting a pool

Keep reading Pool School and make sure you order one of the Recommended Test Kits before the pool is filled.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome!! We're all pool lovers posting here. Suggestion --> Get you test kit ordered now and you'll be all ready when the install is complete. Test your tap or pool fill water first for an idea of what you're starting with. For Example-my fill water is incredibly soft so I know I will have to add calcium from the git-go.
    I swear by the TF-100 kit. It has the best value and is an investment in healthy pool care. $68 is cheap, trust me. People who balk at that never seem to hesitate spending $100s of dollars on UN-necessary chemicals that the pool stores sell them after the pool store tests their water "free". LOL Save yourself all that trouble and start out on right foot. If you like this site and donate to its upkeep, TSTestkits also gives a discount on that test kit. its a win-win situation in my mind.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

4. Back To Top    #4

I will be ordering the test kit now. And since this is going to be a salt water pool at what point do I need to add the salt?
    17,500 gallon 27' ag. Ecco 19" sand filter 1-1/2 hp pump 45gpm. Zodiac aquapure ei swg.

5. Back To Top    #5

With so vinyl pool, you can add the salt anytime. Get solar salt which is cheaper than pool salt.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Hi Mike! Welcome to a wealth of knowledge and a truly way to a TroubleFreePool!

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    People who balk at that never seem to hesitate spending $100s of dollars on UN-necessary chemicals that the pool stores sell them after the pool store tests their water "free".
    This always cracks me up too!
    27' AG 18K Gallons ~ Cartridge Filter ~ Pentair 1.5 HP Pump

7. Back To Top    #7

Welcome!

I would suggest getting everything squared away as a bleach pool - it's only for a couple days, until you get the CYA levels up and it has a chance to warm up - and the hold Diamond Day as described in post 5
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

What is the difference between solar salt and pool salt? I have purchased pool salt already but if it is the same thing just a couple of bucks more I will make sure I buy solar salt when I have to add if ever.

9. Back To Top    #9

Welcome to TFP!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

10. Back To Top    #10

The pool salt is ground up a little more and costs more.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

Ok cool I was really hoping it was the same I didn't want to have to load it back up and return it lol it is heavy.