Those from Oklahoma and Texas: What about winter and busted AGPs?

gtnos

Jun 9, 2013
Newcastle, Oklahoma
I have seen a few threads on busted AGPs due to freezing water rupturing sidewalls. What can be done to reduce / eliminate this issue other than removal of all ladders, steps, and what not.

Also, is this a northern states thing where they have "real winters" or has anyone on here from Oklahoma or Texas area where our winters are fairly mild had or heard of damaged AGPs from winter? I do know my intex froze last year for about a week, not sure if it was solid or not, I just know i gave the sidewall a light bump with my foot and it was frozen.

Being that we just spent 15K on our new pool, I just want to take any precautions I can every year to insure this doesnt happen.

thanks!

Usually, you southern folks can stay open all year and run your pumps during hard freezes to keep the water flowing and pumps from freezing up. My future DIL 's pool was ruined because someone told them they could leave the pool full and plug the skimmer and it bent the side of the pool and cracked the skimmer. They had drained it every year before and regret listening to the guy.

I drain mine every year below the skimmer. We get nasty, cold and unforgiving winters here in Pa! My brother and dad like to mess with the aquadoor and return plugs and get mad because they lose water. lol

For you, if you're going to stay open, you have to upkeep the maintenance and run the pump during hard freezes or, close like I do and go below the skimmer and return and cover it and forget it til Spring.

thanks Casey. I plan on lowering it to below the returns / skimmers, using the plugs doughboy supplied for the returns. Then ill drain the pump, sandfilter, and blow out all the PVC lines with my air compressor to kick out 80% of the water. Ill put the 6 way valve on winterize and cover the equipment with either a tarp or maybe some type of plastic tub, if I can find one big enough. Then add winter cover and call it good. Thats how I did it last year on the intex.

Sounds like a plan. I SLAM mine, drain it off and cover it. I also take the steps out n the pump in.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.