Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Divots in vinyl pool liner

1. Back To Top    #1

Divots in vinyl pool liner

Hello, I had a new above ground pool installed May 10th if this year (1st time pool owner). Due to the weather, the pool was filled with water and sat untouched for around 3 weeks (just did bleach and stabilizer to raise cya). Now that the weather is nice we started going in the pool. I noticed 3 or 4 large divots on the bottom floor of the pool. They are pretty big and I would describe them as the size of the divot a softball would make if stepped on in sand. The rest of the pool is only somewhat smooth with a few uneven parts. Does anyone know what these are from or if this is a big problem. I'm not too concerned about the look of them, I just don't want this to be a sign of upcoming problems.
    Also, when walking around pool now, areas if the floor still feel a little gushy, which I thought was weird since the pool has been filled with water over a month now.

Two points to make.
    1. Our yard does hold water and the soil has a decent amount of clay in it
    2. After the pool install I had scheduled for landscapers to fill around pool with dirt and river rock, however it rained the next few days and landscape wasn't put in until 3 days later.

Also, not sure if this is related, but, I noticed when looking at my skimmer that the water level of the pool went down about an inch the last week. I found this odd because we had a lot of rain this week. Not sure if it's a leak or typical of water evaporation here in NJ at sound 80degrees. I don't see any bubbling or anything.

Thanks for all the help!
    15'x26' above ground pool installed on 5/10/14, 1 hp -Hayward pro series sand filter (Model # S166T92STL), Hayward Vari-Flow valve (Model # SP0714T1), Hayward Power-Flo Matrix pump (Model # SP1592TLFP). TF100 test kit. Diver Dave automatic vacuum.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Divots in vinyl pool liner

our new doughboy pool that was installed a few weeks back has divots too, and it still has areas in the pool floor where when you step, you still will leave a small indention. We waited for a week before swimming just like our PB said to.

Did they tamp your sand or just trowel it? They just troweled mine and told me when I asked that "tamping was not necessary as after it sits for a week with 100K lbs of water on it, it will compact."

and I stupidly believed him. I think your problem (and mine) is from the PB being lazy and not tamping the sand down.

the bad news: Only way to fix is to drain, pull liner, redo sand, replace liner.

the good news: its only cosmetic and wont hurt anything. a lot of people on here complain about their pool floor divots.

im just going to ignore it and enjoy swimming.

as far as water loss, on my old 18 ft intex I lost 100-200 gallons a week depending on how hot it was outside and how much I ran the waterfall fountains. Im sure my water loss will be higher for this pool with over dbl the surface area. Id check the plumbing, and if no leaks, I would assume its from evaporation and splashing.
    Partially buried Doughboy Desert Spring 16 x 32, sport pool, with 7 ft deep middle, 20,000 gallons, Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1.5 HP 2 speed pump, 250 lb sandfilter, 2 Doughboy skimmers and 2 returns. 2 cascade fountains.
    Taylor K-2006 kit. Zodiac Barracuda Ranger suction side cleaner.
    TFPC method and is crystal clear every day thanks to TFP!!!

3. Back To Top    #3

Those divots will bug you more in your sleep than cause any damage to the pool itself.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

I've chosen to ignore the divots and just enjoy my pool..
    Cornelius 15 Round , Semi Inground, TF-100 Test Kit, Speedstir
    Hayward 2 Speed Pump Swimpro 150 Cartridge Filter
    Pool Rover S2-50, Maytronics Solara Heating System

5. Back To Top    #5

Great. Thanks for the help!
    15'x26' above ground pool installed on 5/10/14, 1 hp -Hayward pro series sand filter (Model # S166T92STL), Hayward Vari-Flow valve (Model # SP0714T1), Hayward Power-Flo Matrix pump (Model # SP1592TLFP). TF100 test kit. Diver Dave automatic vacuum.