Pump distance from pool, plumbing questions.

erc

May 19, 2009
I've got one of those metal frame Intex pools from Wal-Mart, 15' circle and 48" deep. It's fitted with a hayward skimmer, and all hayward fittings with 1.5" PVC plumbing.

Last fall a snake crawled up into the motor and fried the thing (the snake and the motor both), so this summer I've got a brand new pump--a Pentair Dynamo 2 speed, 1hp pump. It's attached to a cartridge filter, 75 sq ft, I think.

Now, for the past few years, I used an 50' heavy duty extension cord to power the pump. I know that's a no-no, so I want to remedy that this year. Underground wiring is quite expensive, and we have such a short pool season, maybe two months at the most, I'm not really keen on that kind of investment at this time.

I have a GFCI outlet on the outside of our shed, on its own 20 amp circuit. It would take less than 30ft of PVC to go from my skimmer to that GFCI outlet, and roughly the same amount back again.

Is that too far to plumb? Should I stick with 1.5" hard PVC?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.